MIDI Local Control

Reaction score
I just got a Yamaha UX16 USB-MIDI Interface. I had a bit of trouble installing the drivers, but I figured it out eventually, and I got my computer (OSX Version 10.5.8, if it helps at all,) to recognize the MIDI controller.

GarageBand and Audio MIDI Setup both acknowledge that it's there, but when I try to use it in GarageBand, it doesn't work. The notes don't show up on screen, and the sound comes out through the keyboard speakers. I've tried restarting it, and that didn't work. So I think what I need to do is turn off local control, but I have no idea how to do that. The user manual wasn't very helpful. (But I took a few [url="http://i40.tinypic.com/bjbyc4.png]screenshots[/url] just in case it could be helpful to anyone else.) It did say that it was supposed to connect to the QY-70 Music Sequencer, which is not what I am trying to do.

My keyboard is a PSR-260. It has the MIDI logo on it and connected to the computer fine, but other than that, there don't seem to be any controls on it that have anything to do with MIDI control. Is it possible that there isn't a way to turn off local control, and if so, does that mean there's no way to use the PSR-260 as a MIDI controller?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
Hi, if there is no way to turn "local off" then the keyboard will always be playing
sounds from inside it's sound library.
To JUST use as a controller inside your software, simply turn the keyboards
main volume down, so you don't hear it from it's own speakers.
If this is a default MIDI CC 7 and turns down volume in your computer also,
just put a "dummy" stereo headphone jack in the Yamaha, like a 6mm to 3.5mm headphone adapter jack :)

Hope that helps ?

Marty.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried turning the volume on the keyboard all the way down, but it didn't work. (The volume on my computer wasn't effected, though.)

Does it help if I mention that when I record with it, it acts as if nothing's connected? Nothing at all shows up on the track when I'm done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.