iBook G3 questions...

Reaction score
Hey guys & Girls!!!

Im a Macbook user! I have a Macbook Pro with Snow lepard! Im Not really Computer literate but I know a few things! I just bought a "New" used iBook G3 Clamshell and now I have a few Qustions!!!

I am Running OS X 10.4.11
processor 466MHZ
RAM 576MB

First I was trying to D/L an updated iTunes (so i can use my iPod&iPhone), Limewire for music d/l & safari but in my Downloads window it says it cannot create file. What am i doning wrong?

next i was wondering is there more RAM I can install than 576MB? if so where and how do you do it?

Lastly I would like to know what is the latest program version I can install on the iBook.

Thank you very much for all the help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I just bought a "New" used iBook G3 Clamshell and now I have a few Questions!!!
I am Running OS X 10.4.11
processor 466MHZ
RAM 576MB.

First I was trying to D/L an updated iTunes ... Downloads window it says it cannot create file. What am i doing wrong?

Are you trying to d/l the correct version? For example, I'm using Tiger, and am still on iTunes 7.6.2, I see no point in updating it.

is there more RAM I can install than 576MB?

That's it! Apple stated 320, so you're definitely at maximum.

Lastly I would like to know what is the latest program version I can install on the iBook.

What "program" do you mean?

A word of caution about discussing d/loads from P2P clients like Limewire. Best not to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BlackBook 2 GHz 2GB RAM 120GB HDD
I think by "program" version you may mean Operating System, and if so then the latest you can install is probably 10.4.11 (your current OS), as I don't think your processor will be able to handle running anything more.

Zep

OP
A
Reaction score
Are you trying to d/l the correct version? For example, I'm using Tiger, and am still on iTunes 7.6.2, I see no point in updating it.

That's it! Apple stated 320, so you're definitely at maximum.

What "program" do you mean?

A word of caution about discussing d/loads from P2P clients like Limewire. Best not to.

I did mean Operating system. thanks for the answers!!! (Sorry im Newer to this stuff) haha

I went to try to install iTunes 7.6.2 and it is still saying cannot creat file. Everything I try to d/l it does the same thing. Opens in downloads and says cannot creat file!!! ahhh!! What to do???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
OP
A
Reaction score
I just want to say that with my Other macbook pro I can D/L With NOO problems!!! So there is something wrong with the iBook or the way im doing it on this iBook!!!:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It could have something to do with corrupt permissions.
Try another browser, or maybe set up a new account, and test it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are using firefox to download, maybe try using Safari.... but I don't think that will fix the issue really.
Right click on your desktop (control click) to get info, just to check that the permissions are read and write. Also, do the same with your downloads folder.

I think it has to do with permissions somewhere in the system there, which is why I thought to test in a new admin account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Further to what 6String is advising, I think it's time to give your present OS a good 'going-over', preferably with OnyX (v 1.8.6) Titanium Software. D/load it to your Macbook and transfer it to the G3 via flash drive.

Do you have a Tiger install disk that will work with your G3 iBook? I'd recommend checking the status of the hardware in the G3 with Disk Utility.

C

chas_m

Guys,

The problem the OP is having is that the downloads folder is locked. It has nothing to do with what OS they have, what version they're trying to DL, what browser or any of that nonsense.

There are several reasons why the downloads folder could be locked. To Austin77:

1. Do you have Filevault turned on? TURN IT OFF **NOW** and never think of it again.

2. If not, can you "get info" on the Downloads folder (its in your Home folder) and see if the "locked" checkbox is checked? If it is, uncheck it.

3. If that's not it, what does it say the permissions are on that folder?

4. Can you save files to other places, like say to the desktop instead? Does that work okay?

Lastly, Limewire is IMHO utter junk. Dump it. You want music? Buy it from iTunes. Or Amazon, they have great sales from time to time. Rhapsody is still around too. CD Baby is also great. You get better quality, better sound, artwork/lyrics etc and all DRM-free. It's not "free," but its in every way better, and you're supporting the artists you enjoy, and you won't ever be on the receiving end of an RIAA nightmare lawsuit. Can't beat that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.