MBP Studders for 1 second

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just got my first Mac about a month ago after being a PC guy for the last 13 years. I ended up getting a 15" MBP... C2D @ 2.4ghz, 4GB RAM, 200gb HDD (which I upgraded to a 500gb). Edit: It originally came with 10.5, which I upgraded to 10.6.3.

Ever since I got it, it would lock up for about 1 second no matter what Im doing. Either Im typing in Pages, browsing the web, playing a game... doing anything, it would lock up... but only for a second, and then it just goes along like nothing happened. This happens every 3-4 minutes or so.

I tried running the verify/repair permissions in disk utility, and then Verify Disk in there too... verify disk didnt come up with any errors, but verifying permissions did, so I ran the repair for it... and it still happens.

Ive been watching my memory usage, and never see below 2.5GB of free memory, so I dont think thats it.

Any clues on what to try next?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Did your problems start when you replaced your hard drive?

It sounds like it could be a hard drive issue.

You could try downloading and running OnyX, but to me it sounds like a hard drive issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really can't run tests while the hard drive is mounted and the system is up and running. You need to boot your machine with the install DVD that came with it and then run tests. You can use the original Leopard DVD or the Snow Leopard DVD.

Run the Apple Hardware Test first. That will check the hard drive, memory, and GPU.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
Run the Apple Hardware Test first. That will check the hard drive, memory, and GPU.

Welp, I grabbed OnyX and ran every feature that would have to do with the hard drive/permissions/etc, and it all came back fine.

Ill try the hardware test when I get home... unfortunately I dont have the disk with me at the moment.

C

chas_m

For future reference, the word is "stutters," not "studders."

As for what the problem is you might want to have Activity Monitor open and set to watch CPU activity or drive activity while you're working, and see if anything unusual comes up during or immediately after those "stutters."

Are you sure you haven't installed some third-party autosave feature or some other item that needs to run in the background every so often? Check your login items or (again) Activity monitor to see if there's something running in the background that shouldn't be.

OP
S
Reaction score
allow twaddled

Well, I ran the long AHT... nothing bad was found.

I also kept an eye on it with the Activity Monitor today. When it would lock up, nothing odd showed up for CPU usage, memory, HDD usage, or anything. It was like it never even happened.

I did notice, however, that it only seems to happen when I have Safari open. Its either that, or I only notice it in Safari.

Also, I know its 'stutter'... I just had a couple too many drinks that night ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
if its safari, im guessing it could be due to flash? im not too sure. just a guess. try installing clicktoflash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Just to clarify,

Did you have this problem BEFORE you installed your hard drive? Or did the problem appear after you installed your 500 gb hard drive?

I don't think the Apple Hardware Test would find something wrong with a non-apple certified hard drive.

And if your problem occurs only when Safari is open, try downloading firefox or opera and see if the problem occurs with them open. It could have to do with network/java/flash/who knows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.