Take care of your battery & it will take care of you...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Better tp keep it plugged in, and let it run on battery every now and then just to keep the juices flowing, even if just down to around 50%.

This is COMPLETELY wrong! Even when your computer is charging, the it is running off the battery(when it's connected), and the battery is powered by the charger! Keeping the battery in charge mode, when the battery is already charged, is not good! If you don't believe me, do this: For a couple of days(3), charge the computer until it says that it's fully charged, then unplug it. Charge it up again when the battery drops below 5%. Pay attention to your coconutBattery health status during this time. The battery health should go up a bit(if you have been treating it badly). Now, on the fourth day, run your batter down, plug it in to charge, and keep it charging even after it is done. Go back to coconut a couple of hours after it first said it was done charging, and you should notice a drop in your battery's health!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
This is COMPLETELY wrong! Even when your computer is charging, the it is running off the battery(when it's connected), and the battery is powered by the charger! Keeping the battery in charge mode, when the battery is already charged, is not good! If you don't believe me, do this: For a couple of days(3), charge the computer until it says that it's fully charged, then unplug it. Charge it up again when the battery drops below 5%. Pay attention to your coconutBattery health status during this time. The battery health should go up a bit(if you have been treating it badly). Now, on the fourth day, run your batter down, plug it in to charge, and keep it charging even after it is done. Go back to coconut a couple of hours after it first said it was done charging, and you should notice a drop in your battery's health!

No this (my post) is not completely wrong!
Actually you are completely wrong, and also, you should not be relying on coconut battery to be your source of information, wrongly stated as fact!
The Mac is running off the charger once the battery is fully charged, it is not attempting to charge (therefore not overcharging).
Your testing methods are bizarre, and when you notice the drop in the battery health when it is fully charged in "your tests", this is due to the notebook running off the charger and not the battery, and the battery slowly losing a bit of it's charge in the "idol state."

You should maybe do your research on Lithium-ion batteries and Lithium-Polymer batteries, and Mac notebooks charging states, before trying to discredit what I have stated in the above post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
You're funny! I have worked with LiPos since they almost first came out!
battery shot.jpg
You call that bizarre?
Where are you getting your facts from? I've had enough experience with lipos to know better…

I never even said anything about over charging!

How could I possibly be, "completely wrong," when this is the same exact thing I have been doing since I first got my macbook pro? I have learned through the years(with trial and error), with my other hobbies, on how to maximize my expensive lipo's health, and this is the best thing we have found that helps the battery! So, unless you are just pulling this out of your head, please, show everyone where you get this info from!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I was as sparky (electrician) for the better part of 20yrs, working for many years in electrical and electronic repairs.... as for my facts, I have researched extensively the technology, if you even just google a little, you will find bucket loads of info that will back up what I have stated.
We're way past the days of the NIMH batteries, etc and over charging, unless you are talking about rechargeable shavers and so forth.

It appears my charging methods are working a charm....
See 95% at 338 cycles over 29months ;P

Edit:
Summary of sourced info for you :) .....
The memory effect, or the need to deep-cycle the battery by completely discharging before recharging, is stale knowledge from the time of NiCad and NiMH batteries. Lithium-ion batteries don’t suffer from the memory effect.

It’s also not bad to leave your laptop plugged in. In fact, it’s a good thing to keep it plugged in whenever you don’t need to be running on battery power.

Apple recommends that you run it on battery for a while at least once per month. It’s pretty difficult to own a laptop and not do this, but it is an edge case that some people achieve.
You shouldn’t technically leave your laptop plugged in all the time, but you certainly don’t need to deep-cycle it a few times a week.
The recommendation for monthly battery usage isn’t just for capacity preservation, it’s mostly so the charge indicator can maintain accuracy as the battery’s capacity decreases naturally over its lifespan.

Due to their chemistry, lithium-ion batteries capacity slowly diminishes with age. Laptop batteries usually lose most of their useful capacity 2-3 years after manufacture (not initial use).
The new lithium-polymer batteries claim to have improved this, but it’s too early to tell if these claims have merit.

If you use the laptop on battery power a lot, the battery lifespan will be shortened. This “wearing out” effect is much less severe than with older battery technologies, but is still present. This is why you should plug it in if it’s convenient.

When plugged in, the battery is not in use. The laptop’s power circuitry bypasses the battery unless it’s needed. Depending on how smart the charger is, it may occasionally poll and “top off” the battery if its charge decreases to a certain threshold below 100%, but this is rarely needed in practice.

If the battery is not in use, it will slowly lose its charge due to all rechargeable batteries’ tendency to slowly self-discharge. Lithium-ion and lithium-polymer batteries have the lowest self-discharge rates of any common battery technology, estimated at less than 1% per month and difficult to distinguish from the loss of capacity with age.

In reality, if your laptop is closed, the battery slowly discharges with time because it’s not really “off”. A small amount of continuous power is needed to preserve the RAM’s state during sleep. It’s not the battery wearing out — it’s being used, but much more slowly than when the computer’s in use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On a lighter irrelevant note....
I once had a Chihuahua that killed a Rottweiler.
The Rottweiler choked on it! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I know how lions and lipos work. You make it sound like doing what I do is a bad thing! The fact of the matter is that I have NEVER ever ever had problems with my lipos doing it my way. As I see it, my way seems to be working darn well considering my stats, and I'm not about to stop now. Apple recommends a minimum of 1 deep cycle every month for the new batteries. Coming right from apple's site, it says that if you keep the charger plugged in more often, you need to recalibrate the battery more often. I'll let you know when my battery gives me problems…lol.

EDIT: I forgot something. You probably know this, but apple suggests that you should be able to get 1000 charge cycles before the battery is able to hold a maximum of 80% of it's original capacity. At the rate I'm going, I will be at 1000 at about 93-94%. Mine JUST dropped to 97.9%…so I should be drastically better than normal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reading your OP:
after my post which was directed at
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Better to keep it plugged in, and let it run on battery every now and then just to keep the juices flowing, even if just down to around 50%.
All I did was followed up on that, and gave plenty of info, even more than I would have liked to or needed to, just wanting to make sure that everything was as clear as possible.
As far as Apple suggesting that you should be able to get 1000 charge cycles before the battery is able to hold a maximum of 80% of it's original capacity, that is true, as is for the "Lions" capable of 500 + before it gets to that stage.
The rate I'm going, my battery will more than likely outlast my Mac, regardless of cycles.
The reality is, that for the little that a battery costs in relativity, I think people worry way too much about it.
I think Coconut Battery, iStat, Fan Control, etc., more than anything put gloom and doom into peoples heads, instead of just letting them enjoy using their Macs.
These apps cause more harm than good in that sense!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"13 MBP 2.26 c2d
i know this may sound silly but the local mac tech guy at the apple store informed my family to take off the charging plug when the battery reaches 100% capacity and keep the charger off until it gets very low then plug it back in again until it goes to 100% and repeat this process to have a healthy battery. This makes no sense to me whatsoever, I think that always keeping the plug on is the best thing to do, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
i know this may sound silly but the local mac tech guy at the apple store informed my family to take off the charging plug when the battery reaches 100% capacity and keep the charger off until it gets very low then plug it back in again until it goes to 100% and repeat this process to have a healthy battery. This makes no sense to me whatsoever, I think that always keeping the plug on is the best thing to do, right?

Based on what prior knowledge does this make "no sense whatsoever?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

Read post #24 by 6string. That will more than answer your question

Cheers

Reaction score
The individual itself is responsible for taking care of its stuff, we can't always blame the manufacturers once we experienced some problems with our stuffs for sometimes we are doing some things that may harm our stuffs without us knowing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
The individual itself is responsible for taking care of its stuff, we can't always blame the manufacturers once we experienced some problems with our stuffs for sometimes we are doing some things that may harm our stuffs without us knowing.

I agree with this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
For the record, this is an awesome thread.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.