• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie, .mts files, importing and exporting

Reaction score
I just purchased a Sony HD Handycam (new 2010 model) and love it so far. I do not have a blu-ray player (let alone a blu-ray burner) so my primary interest is making 16x9 SD dvds of movies I record that still look pretty darn good. I have a MacBook Pro with iMovie '08 on it. (No I don't have Final Cut :)

So.. here are some questions...

1) Since in the end all I want is to make a standard dvd of my recordings, I assume it's better to record in HD and then downconvert than to record in SD right?
2) iMovie is able to import the .mts files from my camcorder and when doing so, it converts them to quicktime files. I have no idea what specs iMovie uses. Can I trust them? If not, is it better to convert the .mts files with some kind of converter program instead of using iMovie? I've seen free ones on the net that are made for Mac.
3) When I export a project from iMovie (so I can send it to iDVD to burn), should I just "share it" by making a "large" file that iMovie puts out or should I export to Quicktime? (I actually tried doing this, the "large" file that iMovie exported was about 500 megs (for a 20 min movie) but when I exported in 720 HD to Quickime it was 4.5 gigs!!

I guess I'm just trying to get the best picture possible in SD without having to sacrifice a ton of hard drive space.

Any thoughts you have would be great! Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.