Lost Cause? Previewing Word Docs in Mac OSX 10.4

Reaction score
A call for suggestions about the following:

System: Mac OSX 10.4.11 PPC notebook

Have thousands of MS Word files in Mac Word X (2001) and no, I can't afford to update that or the OS.

Need to text-search file content and browse these in a quick preview mode, as is possible for other documents and image files with Finder and Spotlight.

Anyone have suggestions? I will be grateful for any help.

Please note:

- I'D MOST LOVE something like Copernic HD search for Mac, where you can do boolean search for text content in all files and get the results in search-engine display. But it doesn't seem to exist for Mac.

- Again, Spotlight doesn't search these Word files, only the filenames. They don't show in Preview or Finder. (Is there an app to add this capability for 10.4?)

- I installed Word Browser Plugin 3.0 from Schubert, which is supposed to enable easy Word for Mac document browsing in Safari (I have 4.0.5). But it doesn't work, keeps forcing a view of the same document no matter what is tried. Looks like a bug or else it's no longer compatible with 10.4 as claimed. Opera (10+) and Firefox do not recognize this plugin.

- Even older versions of MS-Word had a "File Manager" that allowed you to index and search and browse all files. Whatever happened to that, and can one find an MS-Office add-on that enables this for Word for Mac X?

- Web searches haven't helped.

Those who can help, thanks in advance for your patience and wisdom in this matter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.