Snow Leopard, Yes or No?

Reaction score
My laptop works nicely, I don't think it's buggy. I don't use it for much. Final Cut, writing and internet. Based on your experience with Snow Leopard, you think I should get it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Are you running Leopard right now or Snow Leopard 1.6.2?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I would have a guess and say he does not have Snow Leopard yet cause he is asking "should I get it?". And to answer the original poster's question.

Yes you should get Snow Leopard, if your computer is one with an intel cpu. on the surface it is just like Leopard. Just as stable. But much more efficient. More responsive, less bloat (by all the PPC binaries being removed), boot up times are out of this world good, and the price for it is only $30 US ($40 for me in Australia).

And under the hood there is a lot of technical improvements to stuff like the core services of OS X, OpenGL and utalising multiple cpu cores more efficiently. All of this will improve your Final Cut experience. Only a little now but in the future with a future versions of Final Cut it could be a lot.

So in short, I see no reason not to get Snow Leopard. Only 2 reasons would be against it, if your machine can not run Snow Leopard, or you can not afford the disc. And if it's the latter, start saving up for the Disc. :).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It sounds like the OP is running Leopard and contemplating the "step up" to SL.
I would recommend it. I mean $29 (USD) for a brand new OS and lots of great behind-the-scenes improvements. Heck, I GAINED a good 20GB of HDD space after upgrading. If you have the time and are confident enough, go for the clean install. Why not, right??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
As opposed to a "bad" 20GB of space gained :).
That "good space" thing always makes me laugh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
As opposed to a "bad" 20GB of space gained :).
That "good space" thing always makes me laugh.

Haha. Yes, "good" as in "at least 20GB of space gained". ;D

OP
I
Reaction score
I'm on the previous generation mac book pro, running on leopard. Everything sounds convincing, I'll get it. :) Thanks all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It sounds like your decision is made up and just for the record I vote for Snow Leopard as well. From what I have experienced it does improve upon Leopard. The low upgrade price also makes it a less stressful decision to upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Even if you weren't wanting to upgrade, I would still have recommended buying the SL disc, to have with the computer as part of the install disc collection, as well as a backup to your install discs for troubleshooting, incase the original discs were to get damaged or lost.

C

chas_m

At $30 for a noticeable speed gain AND some reclaimed disc space (expect around 10GB or more), I think its just plain silly for all Intel Mac owners NOT to get Snow Leopard.

The only caveat is the (now) handful of apps that may still have problems with SL unless you update them. This list is reasonably accurate and a handy way to see if you have any other updates to do apart from just making the move.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.