Wierd Black Box on imac

M

menace3054

This black box keeps appearing when you open anything.. Ive tried virus scan, repair permissions, and restarting. i sware i think my gfs imac is a lemon. any ideas? thanks!!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    208.4 KB · Views: 94
OP
M

menace3054

menace3054 said:
This black box keeps appearing when you open anything.. Ive tried virus scan, repair permissions, and restarting. i sware i think my gfs imac is a lemon. any ideas? thanks!!

sorry, i forgot to add.. imac 17", 1.6 ghz, 1gb ram, running tiger 10.4.1. and the box comes in different sizes and moves all over the screen everytime you type or click something...

OP
M

mogwai

it looks like a border from a screenshot application. do u have xscope installed?

OP
M

menace3054

mogwai said:
it looks like a border from a screenshot application. do u have xscope installed?

no, no screen shot application, sometimes the border highlights the scroll bar on the right, sometimes it highlights a text box, sometimes it highlights the entire screen. we have had nothing but problems with this imac, apple better fix it this time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
what applications and programs do you have running right now?

also, what is on the left of your screen?
-chris

OP
M

menace3054

coach_z said:

-chris

its my gf's computer. she mostly runs safari and dreamweaver. but the problem is there even when no programs are running. there are a few photos on her desktop

OP
M

menace3054

coach_z said:

-chris

oh, that thing is a virus scanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
menace3054 said:

Go to System Preferences -> Universal Access and turn off VoiceOver...and those rectangles should disappear.
It is not a bug, but a visual assistance.
And a virus scan couldn't help much, it only scans for Windows viruses that might infect other Windows PCs networked with your Mac. There are currently no Viruses for OS X.

Reaction score
I have seen this myself. He is right about the visual assistances.

OP
M

menace3054

Avalon said:
Go to System Preferences -> Universal Access and turn off VoiceOver...and those rectangles should disappear.
And a virus scan couldn't help much, it only scans for Windows viruses that might infect other Windows PCs networked with your Mac. There are currently no Viruses for OS X.

thanks! that did the trick

Reaction score
Avalon said:

There are around 7 known viruses for mac you know...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
shaun89 said:
There are around 7 known viruses for mac you know...

Only proof-of-concepts, that still need more user interaction than Windows viruses...and they are not wildly spread, so not really considered as a virus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.