Locking a zip drive

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right area of the Forum to ask, but does anyone know how to lock a zip drive with a password? Using OS-X Leopard now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am not sure if you can lock the physical disk with a password. Haven't used those in ages. One thing that occurred to me though is to use Disk Utility to create a disk image, dump the files to it, then password protect the image.

Are you needing to share the files with a Windows box? That might change things a bit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Assuming it's Iomega brand of Zip drive (don't think anyone else made them), yes you can lock a disk with Iomega software. It's too long ago (way back in OS 8 & 9 days) for me to recall much detail, but I seem to remember that the software that came with the drive had an encryption or password tool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
The last IomegaWare that was released ws for OS X 10.2 and below. Iomega does not have software for OS X 10.3 and above and relies on the USB drivers built into OS X to support the Zip drives, hence they are seen as USB hard drives. There is no support for password protecting a Zip disk in OS X 10.3 or above.

NOTE: There are some minor limitations of the built-in support as follows.

* No long format support. You can use the Mac OS X Disk Utility application to reformat your Zip disks, but the format type used will be a short format.

* No password protection features. Unlike older Iomegaware software that provided Zip disk password protection, the built-in Mac OS X drivers do not offer password protection. If you insert a Zip disk that is password protected, you must take the disk back to a machine with Mac OS X 10.2 or lower with IomegaWare installed and remove the password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.