I am considering buying a used mac pro. can you help me?

Reaction score
It is a mac pro...

Two 3.0GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors...
8GB (4 X 2GB) of 677MHz DDR2...
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB...
320GB Serial ATA...

What should I look for before purchasing this and what is a fair price for this?

C

chas_m

Mac2Sell.net and add $200-300.

The main thing you should look for is "is it stolen?".

Don't accept ANY software from the seller that doesn't come with original install disks and legal serial numbers (if required). Demand the original restore DVDs that came with it.

DO completely erase the hard drive (zero it out) and reinstall the OS and apps from your restore discs to protect both yourself and the seller.

Get the serial number of the machine itself and check with a local Apple authorised shop to see if the thing has a "repair history" or any warranty left.

I'd also suggest (at some later point) upgrading the RAM to at least double that, and a larger hard drive as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz
+1 to all that Chas said.
I would buy a new hard drive right away and just "bin" the old one, as that is
due to "fail" at any moment.
That's a decent amount of memory for now, I have less in my macpro and use
it for serious music production ( my software won't access more than 4 gig anyway )

If it's been looked after it should be a great machine, give it a good clean -up
inside and out .... get any dust/crud off the video board and fans etc.

I've had 2 x used machines and both have worked flawlessly.

Marty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.