Time Machine..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP MC118B/A, iPhone 3GS 16gb
currently doing a backup of HD in time machine to a wired external HD on my MBP.

this is the first time ive used time machine, so when its finished doing its thing can i just toggle off time machine till the next time? (i plan to back up once a week) but i dont want time machine backing up everytime i connect the external HD to my MBP..

then when i do want to backup, toggle time machine on and connect the drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes you can only turn Time Machine when you have your external drive hooked up. That is exactly how I use Time Machine. And I back it up whenever I want/need to. You are not forced to leave your HD plugged in and to regular backups. I do not.

If you're really worried about this you can just go into your system prefrences -> Time Machine and turn Time Machine off. And only turn it on when you want to backup. And turn off after the backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Exactly. It will remind you that you have not backed up weekly I believe. Once you turn on the TM drive it will start automatically. Remember that the next backups will be incremental not a full back up (First BU is a full backup).

I have chosen to only do full backups so every time I run TM, I format the TM HD and then the whole machine gets backed up. Just my style.

Another thing to know is it seems TM does a sector by sector backup so if you do heavy editing / Photoshop work, your drive will get messed a bit and I run iDefrag prior to MONTHLY backups to get the files back in good order (defragged). TM on a FULL backup records the HD exactly as it is and will return it that way.

I am using Leopard right now 10.5.8 and have not upgraded to SLeopard.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Although you can use Time Machine this way I wonder if something like Super Duper might not be better for this kind of backups. An iCal reminder could be set to make sure the backup is not forgotten.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers gents, backed up fully and turned Time Machine off (disable auto backup) and answered my own question ;D

which brings me onto another question....

can i plug my usb EXT HD into my airport express usb port and access it wirelessly?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As far as i can tell the USB controller in the Airport Express only supports printer sharing. I thought I had seen a description at one time about how to do this but cannot seem to find it. The USB port in the Airport Extreme and Time Machine both support attaching external hard drive.

C

chas_m

I suppose backing up in this way is better than nothing, but I feel I should remind you gents that you are actually defeating the PURPOSE of Time Machine by using it this way.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suppose backing up in this way is better than nothing, but I feel I should remind you gents that you are actually defeating the PURPOSE of Time Machine by using it this way.

how else do i go about it then?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think about what you want to accomplish. Time Machine not only functions automatically but provides a degree of version control. If you make a mistake on a document you can revert to a previous version. When working automatically it will back up hourly then consolidate those into a daily backup. Additional consolidation occurs in the production of weekly and monthly backups. ATPM 15.03 - How To: Time Travel: Introduction to Time Machine

If you want a more traditional approach to backups check out SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner - Features.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.