Will additional RAM help

Reaction score
I am unable to run any Videos without CONSTANT stops. Each time I start it runs a few seconds and stops again..

I have G4 Dual 1.42 Processor..Running DSL. Download speed 1250 kps. Does it pay to go to 2 Gig RAM? Will it make a difference with videos?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
How much do you currently have? More RAM is usually a good thing..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Correct but till more RAM always greatly improve computer performance no?

Ram is a funny thing. You will only use up as much ram as your Applications require. Take a look at the "Activity Monitor". Open it up when you have all the other apps you ususally use open too. And go to the system memory tab. And look at the little pie chart there. if you see a lot of green (Free) or unused memory there then you should be ok. But if you have little to no green there then getting more RAM will help you.

You can get more RAM. It's always nice. But you'll only get the biggest boost from it if you have little green in your pie to begin with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Download speed 1250 kps.

I suspect that upgrading that will help more. I only have 768 Kbps, and have the same issue. Up to 6.0 Mbps is available, for twice as much.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am unable to run any Videos without CONSTANT stops. Each time I start it runs a few seconds and stops again..

I have G4 Dual 1.42 Processor..Running DSL. Download speed 1250 kps. Does it pay to go to 2 Gig RAM? Will it make a difference with videos?

If we are talking about internet videos...depending on the website...there is always he chance that the website you're getting the videos from is either very busy...or the website doesn't have a very good/fast internet connection.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
additional ram will only help if you are running out of ram in the first place. Monitor your system monitors to see if you are running out of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 MDD 1.5 GHZ (OC) 1.25 GB Ubuntu and Leopard INTEL SUCK IT!!
Run your vids in the new HTML 5 standard, even on a 300mhz G3 I can watch it bearably.

OP
B
Reaction score
More Ram...

I have 1 gig Ram..and with "ZERO applications except Safari running I can't play the new IPAD vids on Apple.com without stopping every 4 seconds..

C

chas_m

The main problem you have really is your download speed. Assuming you reported it correctly, you're barely getting 1mbps. Not enough to stream larger size videos, adequate (barely) for smaller-size videos.

Yes, more RAM will always help you, but the big bottleneck as I see it is the download speed. If you can't easily upgrade that, get into the habit of choosing the smallest size available on web videos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.