Wireless Access Point questions

Reaction score
I am trying to connect a non wireless computer to an existing wireless network using a WET54G wireless access point. (Bridge?)

The existing network is a WRT54GL wireless router, handling PPPoE and DHCP, through a DSL502T in Bridge mode and no DHCP service, to ADSL connection.

Should I have the WET54G set to DHCP or Static IP ?

Should the computers Ethernet port be set to Manual or Auto DHCP ?

When I try auto DHCP, it gets an IP address way out of range of anything on the network for some reason.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
It depends on what your provider uses. Most likely it should be auto DHCP, as most companies such as comcast and verizon will assign you an IP when you log into the network.

OP
P
Reaction score
It depends on what your provider uses. Most likely it should be auto DHCP, as most companies such as comcast and verizon will assign you an IP when you log into the network.

Wow. now I am really confused. My wireless router is handling my ISP details (PPPoE) and also DHCP for the LAN, the modem is in bridged mode, so why would an ethernet to wireless LAN bridge (WET54G) be in any way related to the ISP?
I might only want access to the LAN from the bridge for instance, so ISP (WAN) is not even in the mix under those circumstances.

Please, enlighten me. As soon as I think I have learned a bit, it seems I have not :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Oh wait. I think I misunderstood your question. Let me ponder this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Honestly, I'm not sure. On one hand I would think it would be DHCP, because, in essence, it is routing the actual network connection, but I'm also thinking it might be static, by using the IP of the modem being bridged.

I may have to take a pass on this one, because it's getting over my head (at least without it sitting in front of me for me to tinker with).

OP
P
Reaction score
Further development........I have managed to get the bridge to connect to the wireless network. It seems that it needs to have the ethernet connected computer to have a static ip for configuring the bridge, but once it has a wireless connection, it can then be changed to auto DHCP, and it gets an ip from the router. The bridge is in DHCP mode too.

There seems to be another issue though. The router and the Bridge are both supposed to support WPA TKIP, but I can only get a connection if I disable WPA.:Grimmace:

I will have to settle for WEP until I find out what the issue is.

Cheers.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This is a bit of an unusual setup. Normally I might expect the modem to handle things with the ISP and getting the initial IP address. The router would then handle things between your model and other devices on the network. Anything, such as a WAP, used to extend the network would likely be in bridge mode so that it would not assign an IP that conflict with one already assigned by the router.

Who is your provider? Perhaps the great Google can tell me a bit more about their setup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He's on ADSL, so I assumed it was probably verizon. If that's the case, then his modem is likely built-in to a non-wired router, hence the bridge to a wireless access point. Otherwise, I would just suggest taking down the whole thing and setting it up in a classic fashion.

OP
P
Reaction score
I have tried various configurations to get the Linksys Router and the D-Link Modem to play ball with each other, and the only configuration that works reliably is as follows:-

Mac (Airport) -> Linksys Wireless Router -> D-Link Modem (via ethernet) -> adsl connection.

Router is in Gateway Mode handling PPPoE and DHCP server for the LAN and Modem is in Bridged Mode to the WAN because the crappy modem will not handle DHCP reliably when used with the Linksys in Router mode (no DHCP)

I had no end of problems with LAN network connections dropping of and taking forever to connect etc. etc. (many people have had similar experiences with these two together). The current configuration works very fast and very reliably. It is a dream to use.

The only problem I am having now, (sorted out the other issues) is connecting a third computer (non airport iMac) to the wireless network with the WET54G bridge, with WPA -TKIP security.

The router supports WPA-TKIP, and the WET54G is a Version 2 with the latest firmware, which is supposed to support WPA-TKIP, and shows it in the Security Options, but it will not work. If I set both to WEP, it works great.

So, other than wireless security, this setup is now working great.

The setup to the non airport iMac is:-

iMac with ethernet cable to WET54G Wireless Bridge -> Linksys Wireless Router WRT54GL -> ethernet cable to D-Link Modem DSL-502T -> adsl connection.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.