Ubuntu Sharing programs between users

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac
Is there a way to share programs between users on the same laptop?
It's running Ubuntu 9.10 with all the latest updates. The laptop is an ex Windows acer.

I have two users set up. One is the main account and the other is for mobile use in my motorhome.

I have a program that I would like to use on both the mobile and main accounts. I can't seem to find a way of doing this without installing it twice, and I'd rather not do this as it would take up drive space.

Is there a way of allowing a program to be run by two users without installing it twice?

I have asked on the Ubuntu forum but it instantly got buried by a deluge of other posts, and I have received no replies :(

TIA

Darren

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If it's a proper DEB file, it should've added a menu entry for every user to use. If that didn't happen, once the Application is installed (on the main account) take a peek at the info on the menu entry and just manually add that to the other account..

No need to re-install the same app twice..

Regards

OP
dazcaz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac
Thanks.
I managed to sort it.
I made sure that the folder the program was stored in was shared and all the sub folders within it.
Then I just browsed my way into that folder using the terminal and called the program up.
I did have a prob with the software not being able to write a file, but I worked out that this was a permissions thing. Once this was sorted out all was OK.

Darren

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.