Temperature on imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Have a 27" imac, 3.06 core2 duo version and i am getting concerned about the temperature, particularly the northbridge. Using istat nano temperatures can range from 48 degrees during idle, to 77 if i start doing a heavy workload.
The top of the imac gets quite hot to touch.

Are these normal or should i be concerned?

Many Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If that is Degrees Celsius you are quoting there you are doing well. Have a read of The Official Overheating thread, it mainly pertains to Notebook type of Mac's but will have some good info for you to read.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Great mate .... Yea mine MB gets to 83c now when im eyeTVing it and it goes down pretty well quick enough for me. As long as it doesnt shut down you are fine. You no your machine though, at the end of the day, so if you feel something is not right, stop research and dont be afraid to return and ask again :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo
**** on my Macbook Pro I hit temps in the 90's (C) all the time when running World of Warcraft.

Reaction score
I'm pretty good in the operating range - not that I am using the mac for processor/graphic intensive work... just surfing around and looking and some youtube/hulu videos which might be why; but I understand it is normal to stay at mid 80C but I might be wrong...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
I'm currently on 91°c whilst running itunes, firefox, skype and iphoto on my 2009 MBP. Goes up to 100°c when handbrake is running.

But its within the running temps. 120°c is the one to watch for as I believe that is when things start to melt, but you mac is designed to shut down if it ever got to that point.

I've learned not to worry, and I just use the temp to let me know if a program is running that shouldn't be and is causing the machine to be working extra hard. (cough*HPprinter*cough)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I am currently importing 1000+ RAW images into Lr 2.6 and getting it to convert them to DNG at the same time. I saw the CPU hit 91oC and whilst it is okay, I've opened up SMC fan control, raised the fans to 5500rpm and its now at 67oC.

I'd highly recommend this app if you are a little paranoid over heat, as everyone has said the Mac will shut itself down before a chance of damage occurs anyway but I see no need to have it operating at those temps if I can lower them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm currently on 91°c whilst running itunes, firefox, skype and iphoto on my 2009 MBP. Goes up to 100°c when handbrake is running.

Yep that Skype will do that. Its notorious to make your system work hard. I can understand your Temps

I've opened up SMC fan control, raised the fans to 5500rpm and its now at 67oC.

I'd highly recommend this app if you are a little paranoid over heat

Yes it is a great little App if you are paranoid, but as i have written in the Overheating Thread, as long as YOU know what your machine is doing, its good to use but if your not sure why they raise so high and you are only in say M-F, then there could be a underlying factor and using SMC could do you more damage than you need .... Just a warning to others :)

TM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
I am currently importing 1000+ RAW images into Lr 2.6 and getting it to convert them to DNG at the same time. I saw the CPU hit 91oC and whilst it is okay, I've opened up SMC fan control, raised the fans to 5500rpm and its now at 67oC.

67 degrees isn't necessary; you should lower the RMP so that there is less stress on the fan. Allowing the temps to be in the 80's would be ideal, but 90's are still ok, nothing to worry about.

Yes it is a great little App if you are paranoid, but as i have written in the Overheating Thread, as long as YOU know what your machine is doing, its good to use but if your not sure why they raise so high and you are only in say M-F, then there could be a underlying factor and using SMC could do you more damage than you need .... Just a warning to others :)

TM

Yup I agree.

C

chas_m

I don't want to repeat all the wise words from everyone here (particularly the link to the "Overheating" sticky), but I will just remind anyone reading this that iMacs (in particular) use CONVECTION COOLING to help keep the fan use/noise to a minimum. This means the design *deliberately* relies on the principle of warm air rising. Cool air is drawn in from the bottom of the machine, passes over the components and gets warm, and rises out the back vent. IOW, the back vent is SUPPOSED to be warm (sometimes very warm) to the touch. That's why it's on the back, keep yer mitts off of it! :)

In short, Apple thought about this and its not really anything you need to worry about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't want to repeat all the wise words from everyone here (particularly the link to the "Overheating" sticky), but I will just remind anyone reading this that iMacs (in particular) use CONVECTION COOLING to help keep the fan use/noise to a minimum. This means the design *deliberately* relies on the principle of warm air rising. Cool air is drawn in from the bottom of the machine, passes over the components and gets warm, and rises out the back vent.

In short, Apple thought about this and its not really anything you need to worry about.

Yep very good point chas, thanks for clarifying and now I know for future reference :)

TM

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Feeling really good now about my original concern at running at 77, and that was using handbrake :D

Reaction score

I'd highly recommend this app if you are a little paranoid over heat, as everyone has said the Mac will shut itself down before a chance of damage occurs anyway but I see no need to have it operating at those temps if I can lower them...

I do something similar, about 80% of the time I don't mess with the fans, but when I do use Handbrake things can get a bit warm so I fire up SMC Fan control and cool things down while encoding. Once I am done I set the fans back to factory and then go about my business.

I know I don't need to do this, just want to avoid what heat I can when I know what is generating it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.