Hello newb here! 1st question

Reaction score
Hello everyone despite ive been playing around with mac for some time there are some simple things that i do not know. I know this is going to be simple.

Right now im sharing an older mac pro with my gf and everytime i download an mp3 it automatically opens itunes and plays the song putting it onto her playlist. Is there a way to disable this feature? I would like for the mp3 to download but not play in itunes when the download is finished.

Ive been trying to search in every settings menu and cant find it.

thanks in advance.

-ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
First thing u need to do is give more info with questions - what OS are u on?
Forgot to say Welcome to the Forum.

OP
S
Reaction score
Forgot to say Welcome to the Forum.

Have a look at this, it allows a lot more configuration and is Ok on 10.6
Download Secrets for Mac - Customize many hidden or incomplete Mac OS X settings. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Here is some of the choices;

Click for full size

thanks for the link. I downloaded it and ran the app. I couldnt find an option for the setting i want. I will keep this app though just incase.

any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

Actually, that's the second thing. ;) First thing is a topic title that relates to the content of the post.

Welcome to Mac Forums! Please give a descriptive title next time. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Since the original poster said Mac Pro. It has to be 10.4.7 or later. As that was the shipping OS on the first Mac Pro.

And to fix this issue you have, when you download something it gives you a window to choose, save this file or open this file. Always choose save. That will do what you want. because open is actually save then open the file in an application, itunes in your case for mp3 files.

OP
S
Reaction score
Since the original poster said Mac Pro. It has to be 10.4.7 or later. As that was the shipping OS on the first Mac Pro.

And to fix this issue you have, when you download something it gives you a window to choose, save this file or open this file. Always choose save. That will do what you want. because open is actually save then open the file in an application, itunes in your case for mp3 files.

Usually when i download its from sites as zshare and such. On those sites I only see a simple one click download button. Is this something that I should right to find the save option?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Yes right clicking and clicking on save as or save link as, and it'll save it without opening it in itunes. Well that how I think it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.