Macbook Pro possible logic board failure. HELP

Reaction score
Hey I'm having a problem with my Macbook Pro. Its a 2.16 Core Duo 15" A1150. About a month ago I dropped it on the upper left corner which bent the casing at about the magsafe adapter port. I as able to still plug in my adapter enough for it to charge the battery so I didn't think anything happened. Yesterday While I was using it, it shut off completely and won't turn back on. I'm not sure if maybe the DC board is damaged or if its a logic board problem.

At first I thought it might be the DC board and maybe it shorted out but when I plug it in to the wall adapter the little light on the magsafe plug lights up and the battery lights charge. Could the DC board be bad and still charge the battery? The computer won't turn on with the wall adapter or the battery at all.

Is there anything else I can try before I decide it's a logic board failure?

any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like the DC input board may be the culprit. There's really no way you can test it at home as it would have to be removed and replaced. Best to take the machine on in and let Apple look at it. Since you dropped it, the warranty won't cover the cost of repair or replacement for a DC input board if that's the problem.

It's unlikely that the logic board could have failed, although anything is possible.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
One question is how long did it run after the time you dropped it and the time it shut down.... is it possible that the fall knocked a connection between the mag board and the battery loose? I mean it could be possible that you were running on batteries only after the fall and even if the thing is charging no juice could be getting to the battery itself... Simply because the mag light comes on doesn't mean that its passing the current to the battery.

I would bet money against it being a logic board problem if it ran for any time at all after the drop. Most drops that would damage the logic board would cause instant damage.

If you knew someone with the same model you could always drop their fully charged battery in and see if it starts to work... if so then you would know it was something between the mag board and the battery... if it still didn't work with a fresh battery it would be something other than the mag board

OP
J
Reaction score
the macbook worked for probably a month after the drop. It won't run on a battery or the wall adapter (I've tried another battery). The wall adapter still charges the battery fine. I can see the meter on the back going up when its plugged in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2008 MBP
If you can put in a battery and it charges.... and the battery works in other macbooks then I'm tending to think it isn't the mag board that is causing the problem. I have seen a macbook that had liquid damage where it would charge batteries but no power on... In that case the mac worked fine for a while before it just refused to do anything... though it still charged batteries.... Are you sure the only event has been a drop? It sounds like it could be the logic board but I just can't imagine it working for months after a drop and then quitting.

OP
J
Reaction score
As far as I know the only damage was from the drop, unless my brother spilt something on it without telling me.

I was starting to rule out the magsafe adapter because in my mind if it was the adapter shouldn't it still run off just a battery with a full charge? I took the keyboard off and it looks like the battery connects to the logic board and not the left I/O board.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.