USB? Block website? Multiple Users?

Reaction score
I am interested in getting an ipad but have several questions:

-I noticed it doesn't have a USB port. Are there any items such as an adapter that would plug into the dock connector to give it a USB port? If so, would I be able to plug an item in such as an airmodem to give it 3G? I currently have an airmodem with my laptop so it would be nice if I could do the same here.

-Tethering: I've heard the iphone will have tethering shortly. Would it work with the iPad?

-I likely would be sharing the iPad with my wife and child. I want to be able to control which websites my son has access to and block sites such as YouTube, Facebook, and others. Can I block websites on the iPad? If so, would I be able to block these sites in a secure location so that he could not have access to it to unblock these sites?

-Multiple Users: With our mac we can set up multiple users so that each of us has our own documents, applications, etc. All of us have our own iTunes accounts with some apps already for the iphone. Would we be able to have accounts for each of us when we use the ipad, to have our own apps and could these accounts be password protected?

Thank you for your help with the above questions.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I am interested in getting an ipad but have several questions:

-I noticed it doesn't have a USB port. Are there any items such as an adapter that would plug into the dock connector to give it a USB port? If so, would I be able to plug an item in such as an airmodem to give it 3G? I currently have an airmodem with my laptop so it would be nice if I could do the same here.

Unlikely.

-Tethering: I've heard the iphone will have tethering shortly. Would it work with the iPad?

Where? how about we wait until the iPhone has such a capability.

-I likely would be sharing the iPad with my wife and child. I want to be able to control which websites my son has access to and block sites such as YouTube, Facebook, and others. Can I block websites on the iPad? If so, would I be able to block these sites in a secure location so that he could not have access to it to unblock these sites?

Am sure it will have the same restrictions available as the iPhone and iPod Touch - here are some of the features - link

-Multiple Users: With our mac we can set up multiple users so that each of us has our own documents, applications, etc. All of us have our own iTunes accounts with some apps already for the iphone. Would we be able to have accounts for each of us when we use the ipad, to have our own apps and could these accounts be password protected?

No, it does not have the ability to set up multiple user accounts that any of us are aware of.

You should be able to change iTunes accounts which can be done now - link.

To this day, none of us have actually touched an iPad yet. Therefore, all answers can only be to the best of our knowledge based on what Apple has thus far released.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
There is an adapter that will allow for USB devices to be plugged in and also an adapter that you can plug an SD card into. They come together in a 2-pack.
More details are available in all the feature videos on Apple's site. Apple - iPad - Guided Tours

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.