Pop-ups & redirected with safari

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
Hi,

I operate vmware (i need dragon) and it was only with loading that did i commence to get problems. never been on the net with vista though.

when i'm in mac and using safari i get a windows security pop-up advertisment. the other thing is using safari (latest version) i click on a site and automatically get re-directed to other sites - mostly the same - then if i click off the redirected the site and click on the site i want to go to, only then do i go to the right site.

i have checked the no pop-up button on safari and also cleaned out all the cookies. its still happening.

should i delete safari and redownload safari and start again or do i need anti-popup or other programes to stop this nuisance.

cheers and thanks in advance for any advice.

Maxy

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Safari pop-ups & redirection

Hi,

I operate vmware (i need dragon) and it was only with loading that did i commence to get problems. never been on the net with vista though.

when i'm in mac and using safari i get a windows security pop-up advertisment. the other thing is using safari (latest version) i click on a site and automatically get re-directed to other sites - mostly the same - then if i click off the redirected the site and click on the site i want to go to, only then do i go to the right site.

i have checked the no pop-up button on safari and also cleaned out all the cookies. its still happening.

should i delete safari and redownload safari and start again or do i need anti-popup or other programes to stop this nuisance.

cheers and thanks in advance for any advice.

Maxy

Hi,

anyone have any suggestions, I didnt get any responses. I still get the windows security pop-up and also when I am in google, and I select and click on a site, on the first click i am redirected to places like, facebook, then i click back and click on the site the second time then i go to the correct site???

any suggestions at all would be REALLY appreciated

cheers
Maxy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Empty Safari's cache, or Reset Safari, selecting what options you want.

Second suggestion is to clean out the cookies once again, and then adjust the cookie preferences to Only From Sites I Visit, at least for a while. You'll soon learn to recognise which cookies are necessary/useful, as well as harmless.

If the Safari problem persists, I recommend that you change browser to FireFox (or Camino). Control of cookies is much better than in Safari.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have already emptied the safari cache, reset safari and also gone into the library and deleted the cache and then restarted. all to no avail.

i think i will take your advice and try FF for a while until mac get on top of this problem with safari as it is SO annoying.

actually before that I think i will delete my version, redownload safari and try it again and see if the problem is still there. if its no longer there, then its not on my computer.

Cheers and many thanks

Maxy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
You might want to try deleting the Mail preferences of the present version first.

Side Note: I see from a news item that Opera is now the most downloaded browser, as Mac users dissatisfied with Safari look elsewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.