• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Back to Panther

E

Ex_PC_Puke

Its a small bug - but I'm tired of it ---- many many complaints at the apple tiger site about systems not going to sleep - then when you walk in the room to use them they run like syrup on a cold day in february.

I deleted the energy preference .plist and it worked for a day or two - then back to the usual.

So I'll nuke the system tonight and reinstall Panther - I just got caught up in the whole tiger thing ---Don't really know why I had to got to tiger when panther is rock solid -- I value stable and reliable to flashy and flakey

A lesson learned !!!!!! - I've got tiger licenses for my mini and PB --- I'll just wait until 10.4.3 or so to use them

Reaction score
no problems here worth trashing Tiger. Good luck! But I'm not to familiar with panther either only had it a month ;)

OP
D

dstyrk

I'm not all that impressed with Tiger.. I did have a small issue with my start up items.. For whatever reason, when I would login, my mouse wouldn't work. If I came in in safe mode, it worked fine.. I just removed all start up apps. ie Mail, Yahoo etc..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
No Problems with Tiger here either.
Generally it's 3 party hacks & 3rd party software that hasn't been updated that causes problems with Tiger not the OS itself.
Cheap ram has been known to cause trouble too.
The fact that "it" works with Panther doesn't mean it will work with Tiger. Too many changes under the hood to take anything for granted.
I think Tiger is great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

witeshark said:
Try repair permissions. After every software update, and about every 2 weeks: close all apps and log totally off. Log on, go in Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, verify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions

Yeah - I could do all that ..... but why ??? Panther runs great and my system sleeps like a baby now. As to 3rd party SW mucking things up - as a mac noobie I hardly have any non-apple SW loaded.

Bottom line is tiger is "nice" - but none of its core features are that critical to my computing experience. My being a hard-core techie for so many years is what made me "want" to jump to tiger ASAP --- but like I said Panther is mature and stable which is more important to me as I move away from being a hard-core techie to a healthcare person.

Its great that a lot of folks move to the latest OS as that helps Apple and gets it debugged - I'm just not one of those folks :dummy:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.