New to Aperture

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - 320 GB HD, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, + Magic Mouse
Hey guys.
I downloaded the Aperture 3 demo a couple of days ago. I love it! Definitely thinking of buying it. I wanted to ask you all, however, if you picked up any tips or things that you find work really well. Something to jumpstart this here beginner. Thanks,

Erich
PS I accidentally posted this in Audio. How do I remove it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz
I have been working with Aperture 3 for a few weeks now, and I really like it. Definitely worth the upgrade from iPhoto.

A few tidbits I have picked up so far:

1. Don't get bogged down with Faces and Places right off the bat if you have tons of archival photos to import. They are kinda fun, but your time is better spent learning the basic processing functions and the other organizational tools. I am using them for new photos but am in no hurry to add them to all the archival projects.

2. Do use folders to keep your projects organized.

3. Do go through the booklet that comes with the program, it doesn't take long and gives you a good overview.

4. As in iPhoto, the auto enhance feature can improve a surprising number of photos, and can serve as a starting point even for photos that need more or less than auto-enhance alone. I find it is especially useful for RAW files that I shoot, which always need some processing to look their best.

5. If you have any scanned images with dust specks or scratches, the Repair Tool is like magic.

6. The Dodge and Burn brushes are also fantastic. Much easier than *real* dodging and burning back in the chemical processing days.

HTH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.