wi-fi connectivity

Reaction score
Newbie here. My MacBookPro sometimes has a good signal from the house wi-fi, other times impossible to connect to internet. Sometimes a good signal and it STILL won't connect. Sometimes drops me from internet in the middle of something. Tried various tests- restarting house Link-Sys, another test where I sat next to friend with similar MacBook at a cafe. His picked up store's wi-fi signal, mine wouldn't. Apple Store Genius Bar blames local provider. Local provider says if it's sometimes OK, other times not, it's the (brand new) MacBookPro. Now Apple Store recommending I buy Airport Extreme, and says it won't interfere with Link-Sys others use. That seems my last hope before I use this laptop as a doorstop. Help? Thx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It could be the aluminum in the MBP that is interfering with the signal. It's possible that this combined with a slightly less powerful signal may be causing your issue. You could try selecting a different network connection from the Airport icon in the menu bar, if there are any.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.