Network setup advice / help please

Reaction score
Hardware:-

2 Macs (10.6.2), a Wireless Router Linksys WRT54GL, a D-Link ADSL2 Modem DSL-502T (genII).

At present the modem is set to DHCP disabled, and the router is the DHCP server. (I tried it the other way around also, but it would not work either)
The Router is in Router mode (v's Gateway mode).
The router has a Starting IP of 192.168.1.2
In Network Config. Airport, Ethernet and USB are all set to IPv4 using DHCP (not manually)

The current situation is that the wireless LAN is working perfectly, and the modem has an active connection to ADSL service. The modem and the router will not communicate, so I have no internet on airport (LAN)
The only way I can get internet to both Macs is to have one Mac plugged directly into the modem via ethernet, and the other plugged into the modem via USB.

How do I get the router (192.168.1.1) to talk to the modem (192.168.1.2)?

Is the ethernet cable form the router to the modem supposed to be plugged into one of the routers ethernet ports, or the Internet port? (I have read conflicting tutorials on this, and have tried both ways without success)

It it almost midnight here and I have been working on this all day, so if anyone does offer assistance, I thank you in advance, but I will not see the reply posts until tomorrow, just so you don't think that I can't be bothered responding.:Sleeping:

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Well, first things first, press the reset button on the router and make sure every thing is plugged in correctly:

power > modem
power > router

ADSL > modem > router > mac 1 and/or router >mac 2

ok. Now, power cycle both the modem and the router then bring up the control page.

Out of the box, you should not have to set up anything except for wireless security and wireless channel, which is why you should reset the router.

Set the wireless security to wpa-2 and choose a secure passcode.

Set the wireless channel to whatever works best. They suggest 6 or 11. I always have the best luck with 11.

Unless you're working with dynamic IPs, you shouldn't have to change anything. I would use the modem to recieve your IP.

OP
P
Reaction score
Well, first things first, press the reset button on the router and make sure every thing is plugged in correctly:

Therein lies the first question, what is the correct plugging, modem into Internet port, or modem into Ethernet port?

Unless you're working with dynamic IPs said:
You have not said if I should delete my Network Connections in System Preferences and start from scratch? (I am new to Mac, and no networking experience) :(
Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
My take is that Macs strive for a reliable connection and having a Linksys and a D link in series is going to give you drama unless you know how to fiddle with all the settings, and it probably will never work with iChat audio/video. Second issue is our Telecom gave out those D Links out like candy - any time you complained they gave u another one. A number of bods i have helped have had no troubles after we ditched the 502 - so that may be a good starting point.
Does the Linksys not have a modem?

OP
P
Reaction score
My take is that Macs strive for a reliable connection and having a Linksys and a D link in series is going to give you drama..............

Yep, that is what I have had.

""unless you know how to fiddle with all the settings""..............Which I am hoping to be able to do with some guidance.

""and it probably will never work with iChat audio/video"".........No problem there, don't use either.

""Second issue is our Telecom gave out those D Links out like candy - any time you complained they gave u another one""..........I am on my second one, the first one bricked in the first day.

""A number of bods i have helped have had no troubles after we ditched the 502 - so that may be a good starting point"".......... If I had some spare cash, that would be option 1 for sure. A nice combined Modem Router. :)

Does the Linksys not have a modem?
Nope :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Getting those 2 bits of hardware to play nicely is out of my scope - time for someone else to take over.

OP
P
Reaction score
Acting on advice, I have now got this setup working perfectly as far as LAN and WAN are concerned. :D

Setup is:- Modem in Bridge Mode. Router as PPPoE handler, DHCP server, set in Gateway Mode.

The only remaining problem is that I cannot access the Modem for admin purposes. I have tried both USB and Ethernet cables, but the browser just times out tying to connect. :Grimmace:

Can anyone suggest a possible solution please?

Cheers.

OP
P
Reaction score
The only remaining problem is that I cannot access the Modem for admin purposes. I have tried both USB and Ethernet cables, but the browser just times out tying to connect. :Grimmace:

Issue resolved, well as best as is likely with this piece of junk.

FOR THE BENEFIT of some other poor sucker who bought one of these:-

Turn everything off.
Plug the USB cable & the power cable only, into the modem.
Boot the computer.
Power up the modem and wait, and wait, and wait, until the USB light settles down & stops blinking.
Open a browser and follow std. procedure. It worked for me, but I will NEVER buy a D-Link product again. Total crap product.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The other work round i found is that with some of the brands of modem modem/router changes in settings could not be saved in Safari, so i now use Firefox just for dealing to my Linksys.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Collin.

As it happens, I did use Safari, despite having two other browsers. I'll try one of them.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.