Backups, Backups, Backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 500Gb, 2.66GHz. iPhone 5 32Gb, 16Gb iPod Nano, 8Gb iPod Nano
ok, here is a question... I just purchased a 500Gb Seagate portable external hard drive in order to back my music etc up. I was planning to do this manually however I connected it to my MBP and it asked if I wanted to use it for Time Machine... I clicked decide later and thought i'd come in here and ask what you guys' reckon.

I currently have Time Machine on my MBP switched off (it was switched off as a default) and do want to turn it on however I don't want it eating up all my disk space. So what I asking is; should I use my external drive as my Time Machine drive? If so, do I need to have it constantly connected? Or should I just switch on my Time Machine on my MBP and let it take up some space. Does it take up much space?

- Chris

Reaction score
I have had my iMac 6 months now and just decided to hook up the "My Book Mac Edition" external hard drive that I bought with it. I plugged it in and it asked if I wanted to use Time Machine and I clicked yes.

Today I am looking at what was copied onto the external drive and am trying to find all my photos and music files. Considering I do tend to miss things right under my nose, they may be there. But I couldn't find them. When I tried to open the file iphoto, I was told I couldn't because it was part of time machine.

So my questions are (1) are my photos and music on the external drive and (2) how do I access them?

If there is a thread with those answers, does anyone have a link?

Thanks.

When you enter Time Machine, it'll look a bit alien to most people. Go back in time to a back up where you might have accidentally deleted a file. Click on "Macintosh HD">"Users">"USERNAME"> and browse your files. Click on the file you need, and click "Restore" at the bottom RIGHT. From there it should restore it back to Macintosh HD in real time.

Reaction score
ok, here is a question... I just purchased a 500Gb Seagate portable external hard drive in order to back my music etc up. I was planning to do this manually however I connected it to my MBP and it asked if I wanted to use it for Time Machine... I clicked decide later and thought i'd come in here and ask what you guys' reckon.

I currently have Time Machine on my MBP switched off (it was switched off as a default) and do want to turn it on however I don't want it eating up all my disk space. So what I asking is; 1.)should I use my external drive as my Time Machine drive? If so, 2.)do I need to have it constantly connected? Or should I just switch on my Time Machine on my MBP and let it take up some space. Does it take up much space?

- Chris

1) Yes. Yes you do.

2) No you do not need to keep it connected 24/7/365. For me, I back up every week, but only when I connect the external drive to my MacBook and run Time Machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
Got mu iMac about 2 and a half months ago. I have been using time machine, but decided to try SuperDuper yesterday.

It made a bootable clone of my entire iMac - Programs and files alike. It took approx 2 hours for it to complete.

I did it pretty much on the default settings. No tweaking - Straight out the box...

I then tried booting from the USB copy. IT WORKED PERFECTLY !

Very simple and easy to do. If anyone is worried about doing their first 'proper' (non Time Machine) backup... DONT BE :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It is possible to combine the benefits of cloning the drive and Time Machine as a strategy. In essence you clone the drive using any of the good cloning tools then let Time Machine do its thing. The benefit is that if you ever need to recover a file and don't have the system disk it's possible to boot from the clone and use TM to restore any of the files it has backed up.

Reaction score
Okay, now I need an answer here. LOL

I opened up my Time Machine backups drive and found that my Mac mini's backups are on there. Considering I won't be using the Mac mini for quite awhile, does anyone think it's a good idea to let Time Machine on my MacBook take over those backups? (Delete them as it sees fit to make room for my MB backups?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
Got mu iMac about 2 and a half months ago. I have been using time machine, but decided to try SuperDuper yesterday.

It made a bootable clone of my entire iMac - Programs and files alike. It took approx 2 hours for it to complete.

I did it pretty much on the default settings. No tweaking - Straight out the box...

I then tried booting from the USB copy. IT WORKED PERFECTLY !

Very simple and easy to do. If anyone is worried about doing their first 'proper' (non Time Machine) backup... DONT BE :)

I made this post at the end of August. Today is October 1st. I decided to do another full bootable backup. So this time, rather than start from scratch, I paid for a licence for SuperDuper! and performed a 'smart backup'

It took 20 Mins and all is done.

Overall verdict?
Recommended!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06GHz Intel Core i3 processor , WD 2tb ext HD, Holla!!!
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I paid for a licence for SuperDuper! and performed a 'smart backup'

It took 20 Mins and all is done.

Overall verdict?
Recommended!

It was my very first purchase i made for my Mac. Does a flawless job . . . .

Reaction score
I've been using time machine to back up my white iMac on to an external HD. Now the HD on my iMac is fried and I'm going to buy a new machine instead of replacing the drive.

Can I use Time Machine on the new iMac I get to retrieve the files/folders from the externals HD, or is Time Machine paired with the HD it is backing up only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, when you set up your new iMac you will have the option to restore from a T.M. backup.
Also see Mac 101: Time Machine
Restoring a Time Machine backup on a new Mac

When you buy a new Mac, you can transfer all of your applications, files, settings, and other information from a Time Machine backup you've already made.

You will be asked if you want to transfer files when you start up your new Mac for the first time. Or, you can use the Migration Assistant (located in Applications/Utilities).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This Queemsland Flood disaster reminded me of this Sticky. After watching people walk out with ruined Photo Album and crying. Heartbreaking it was. Then a man walked out with a HDD. Shaking his head the TV Reporter asked whats wrong and the gentlman replied "My life's work, Kids photos and everything digital i ever owned is gone. This flood ruined everything"

I just goes to show though, no matter how silly it sounds, McBie's advice to keep a back-up off site is so plausible. This man didnt and only had the one 2TB (he mentioned over a TB worth of Data) HDD and now he has lost everything.
Dont ever be complacent with the old adage "It will never happen to me"
This man thought the same then all of a sudden had a 8mtr wall of water (inland tsunami) wipe it all out .....

Just a thought

C

chas_m

TM: chances are a good recovery service like DriveSavers could help that gentleman. The data is likely all still there. I hope you'll find a way to pass that on to him.

But yeah, particularly the digital pictures -- offsite backup or DVDs in a safe deposit vault people (in addition to your normal everyday backup). Most "digital" stuff is easily replaceable, but some isn't. Know what's important and keep multiple backups of that stuff.

So if you've read the thread this far and you're thinking "okay, you've convinced me, but what kind of off-site backup can I do?" -- here's a few suggestions:

1. MobileMehttp://www.apple.com/mobileme/. In addition to its many other fine offerings, they give you a decent amount of backup space (20GB) and you can buy more. I find that most people's "really irreplaceable" libraries are pretty small compared to all the easily-replaceable stuff, so for a lot of people 20GB might be plenty. If you buy MM from Amazon or a reputable Ebay seller, it can be a sweet bargain. I've always felt it was a really good deal at any price.

2. For Photos, Flickr Pro is King. If you're primarily interested in backing up personal photos and videos off-site, I might suggest Flickr Pro ($25/year at present) which claims to offer "unlimited" backup of those two formats. Certainly a good deal, but obviously you have to keep paying as you would with MM.

3. Roll Your Own Local Off-Site Backup. With hard drives as cheap as they are now, there's no reason not to make your own "off-site" non-cloud backup by simply filling a spare external drive with valuable data and storing it away from your home. This is obviously for data that isn't going to keep changing (old family photos for example). I've got one sealed in a plastic bag in my storage unit. If you go this route, I recommend taking it home and firing it up once a year to make sure the unit is still functioning of course.

4. Other Cloud Services. There are plenty of them right now and the price is reasonable. Carbonite, BackBlaze, SpiderOak, Mozy, Dropbox and there must be a dozen others. Prices and space and features vary, but I've not run across any that aren't Mac compatible. SpiderOak and Mozy in particular get high marks from my clients, but only you know how much "irreplaceable" stuff needs to be backed up, so depending on your needs other services might work better for you. Most offer free trials or modest amounts of space (2-5GB) for free, so don't be shy about trying them out.

5. DVDs. I'm talking standard single-sided 4.7GB ones here. They're pretty easy to make and very easy to store off-site, and are ideal for the kinds of data that isn't going to change (I use em most often for original movie footage, original unretouched VERY high-rez scans, family photos and other such "archival" material). Yes, you'll be able to read the data back in on whatever machine you're using 10 years from now, but of course nobody can say how much things might change beyond that, so don't store those discs somewhere where you can't get to them again to transfer to the next "permanent" medium format in 20 years' time.

I don't recommend the double-sided or Blu-Ray discs because *as storage mediums* they haven't caught on in the mainstream as single-sided ones did, so they're likely to go "obsolete" sooner, a consideration for 20 years down the line. I can still find a way to play my VHS tapes from the 80s without much trouble, but my Betamax tapes from the same period? Yeah, not so much. :)

Keep in mind two things:

a. Uploading large quantities of data takes FOREVER!! Most people's upload speeds are anything from 1/10th to 1/50th their download speed. Uploading 100GB of "precious" material to a cloud service is likely to require you keep your Mac on and running (and suffer a drop in internet performance while this is going on) for the better part of a WEEK.

I suggest you pick and choose the REALLY valuable stuff instead of being lazy and uploading everything indiscriminately. Not only will this save you money, it will save you a lot of time, particularly if you need to revise or re-upload things later.

b. There's no law that says you can't have overlapping coverage. I have dual backups right next to me, an off-site HD wrapped in plastic in a storage unit, some DVDs stored elsewhere, and a small amount of precious files on my iDisk as well. Is that overkill? Maybe, but the effort and cost involved are minimal compared to the joy of knowing that I can lay my hands on that stuff if my hard drive and household backups went poof before I could finish this sentence.

Think about what of your digital collection would be impossible to replace, or difficult to replace, and assess your risks -- then invest in some sort of off-site storage accordingly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TM: chances are a good recovery service like DriveSavers could help that gentleman. The data is likely all still there. I hope you'll find a way to pass that on to him.

Good point. I have just emailed the Network where i saw the story and hopefully they will use the information in another story or somehow to help someone. They are covering it nearly 24/7 ATM

Cheers

Reaction score
Did anyone ever answer this. I just did the exact same thing and would love to know t

I have had my iMac 6 months now and just decided to hook up the "My Book Mac Edition" external hard drive that I bought with it. I plugged it in and it asked if I wanted to use Time Machine and I clicked yes.

Today I am looking at what was copied onto the external drive and am trying to find all my photos and music files. Considering I do tend to miss things right under my nose, they may be there. But I couldn't find them. When I tried to open the file iphoto, I was told I couldn't because it was part of time machine.

So my questions are (1) are my photos and music on the external drive and (2) how do I access them?

If there is a thread with those answers, does anyone have a link?

Did anyone ever answer this. I just did the exact same thing and would love to know the answer before I continue with things.

Lucy Goose

Thanks.

Did anyone ever answer this. I just did the exact same thing and would love to know the answer before I continue with things.

Lucy Goose

C

chas_m

1. Yes.
2. You use the "Enter Time Machine" command in your menu bar under the Time Machine icon (on the right). I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you genuinely do need to replace something you lost.

Time Machine creates a "sparse image" of the stuff on your hard drive. Without a long explanation, everything is there -- but not in a manner that is intended to be directly accessed. You're trying to go into a house by breaking a window and climbing in, when the front door was unlocked, so to speak.

If you'd just like to "check" that everything's working, here's a safe way to do so:

1. Create a "fake" address book card.
2. Wait at least two hours.
3. Delete the fake address book card.
4. While Address Book is still open, move your mouse up to the menubar on the right side, click on the Time Machine icon and choose "Enter Time Machine."

From there, it should be fairly obvious how to "recover" the "lost" fake address book card, but if you'd like a demo, here ya go:
YouTube - Time Machine presentation @ WWDC 2006

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 3.06GHz Intel Core Duo 4Gb 1067MHz DDR3
hi, could someone confirm the windows issue for me please. In the first post it states that windows partitions in boot camp need to be backed up seperately. I have time machine set up and am running windows parallels....will time machine back this up?

thanks
I did not see an aswer to this question and I will have a similar issue. I just got a new 5000Gb external USB drive to use with TM on a regular basis. Occasionally I run WinXP in Parallels and plan to partition the external to have a Windows formatted partition to hold Windows backups of files created in XP. Have others here used a similar setup or is there a problem I should watch for with doing it this way? The external uses 2 USB ports and without adding another hub I don't see a practical way to be able to back up both systems' files when using both systems. Better ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hi, could someone confirm the windows issue for me please. In the first post it states that windows partitions in boot camp need to be backed up seperately. I have time machine set up and am running windows parallels....will time machine back this up?

thanks

I did not see an aswer to this question and I will have a similar issue. I just got a new 5000Gb external USB drive to use with TM on a regular basis. Occasionally I run WinXP in Parallels and plan to partition the external to have a Windows formatted partition to hold Windows backups of files created in XP. Have others here used a similar setup or is there a problem I should watch for with doing it this way? The external uses 2 USB ports and without adding another hub I don't see a practical way to be able to back up both systems' files when using both systems. Better ideas?

I have found a couple of interesting articles to help you on your quest.
@Macata If you’re running Windows inside of Parallels or VMWare Fusion, your compressed Windows file is backed up in your Time Machine backup.

But if in bootcamp have a read of these.

Can Time Machine back up both the Boot Camp partition and the Mac partition at the same time? (i.e., everything that is on my Mac).
10-Second Tip: Backup your Boot Camp Partition
TUAW ~ Winclone: Backup your Boot Camp partition

HTH

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.