I'm not sure what I have..... ???

Reaction score
For those of you who are familiar with your Mac's I'm sure this seems like a dumb question, but as I explained yesterday this is all new to me.

How can I tell if I have Snow Leopard on my computer? Its a Mac OS x 10.6.2 I know, but how can I tell if I have Snow Leopard.... I don't see it written anywhere.

Thank you (remember what they say,;D there are no dumb question's)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
10.4.x is Tiger, 10.5.x is Leopard, 10.6.x is Snow Leopard..:)

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
but......

Thanks for your reply, but, I was thinking I could find it someplace on my Mac. Someplace like System Preferences. Shouldn't it say it someplace? When I look in Finder under Devices, I see the first thing in the list is Macintosh HD....

So, is it the OS X that means Snow Leopard, or is it the 10.6.3 (it must have updated) that means Snow Leopard? Or are those both irrelevant to the question?

Sorry, I don't mean to be a pest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Why does it matter if you want your machine to say "Snow Leopard"? 10.6 *is* in fact Snow Leopard.

OP
S
Reaction score
Yeah...

:( I guess you are right. The person who purchased this Mac for me thought that when he ordered it that Snow Leopard was an option and he didn't purchase it (that he know of). But then again ... he knows even less about a Mac than I do (hard to believe huh?).

Thanks ... I'll just accept that I have a Snow Leopard. I appreciate your reply's.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Okay I think I understand now. You know that 10.6 is Snow Leopard, but do not know if you are running 10.6

You can easily determine this by clicking the Apple in the top left corner, then from the drop down menu click "About This Mac"

Right underneath OS X it will display the current version OS you are running. If you click "Version 10.x.x" it will display the build number, and if clicked again will display the serial number.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How can I tell if I have Snow Leopard on my computer?

Mac OS "Snow Leopard" is 10.6.x.

To find out what version of the OS your computer has...go to the "Apple" drop down menu in the upper left of the desktop...and select "About this Mac". It will tell you what version of the Mac OS is on your computer.

If it's 10.6.x...then it has Snow Leopard on it.

- Nick

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The "Machintosh HD" you see under Finder is the name of your hard drive given during installation, you can set that to anything you want. That has NO connection to the version of OS X running on there..

Snow Leopard isn't an option per say by a version of the operating system OS X. These versions started with 10.0.x and have gotten to 10.6.x, so that means that Snow Leopard is the 6th version of OS X, with Leopard being the 5th, Tiger being the 4th, Panther being the 3th and I don't know what the first 2 were..

The point release after 10.5 or 10.6 indicate the specific update-version for Leopard or Snow Leopard version of OS X..

If you're familiar with Windows, think of the point releases as Service Packs, so for example, Windows XP is a version of Windows, which came before Windows Vista and Windows 7..and SP 3 is the third update to Windows XP..

Hopefully this explains things rather than further muddle things..:)

Regards

OP
S
Reaction score
You're the best......

Thank you guy's .... you're the best!!! I am so glad I joined Mac Forums dot com !!!!!

I love my Mac and I think I'd slit my wrists if I had to go back to a PC;D. I have a lot to learn but you are making make it much easier for me.

Again, Thank YOU,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
The words Snow Leopard just don't show up along with the version number.
That's part of the confusing thing for new Mac owners. Apple really should add the name description along with the number when people click on the "About this Mac" feature. Since Apple likes the number 10 it's also confusing to new users that 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, etc are completely different versions. For most software the second decimal digits usually mean an update fix and not a completely new version. Apple uses the numbers after the third decimal point to describe the traditional update versions. To make a long story short, new Mac users should just ignore the 10. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
And a little note.

The finder version does not always equal the OS version. For example right now my OS is 10.6.3 but my finder is 10.6.4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.