Non-sense pop-up!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC OS X - 10.5.8, 2,13GHZ, Intel Core 2 Duo, FF
Hi,

I have an issue with a pop-up!

I am using FF browser, and did select the box to block pop-ups on FF, I am also using spy-ware/ad blocker!

As I understand, always that I am accessing a quality newspaper portal I get this nerving insurance pop-up.

Did you face similar issues, how did you solve it?

Also, what function does the "Java Console" pop-up and "Terminal" pop-up have?

How to get rid of those two pop-ups as well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Make sure that the pop-up window isn't on the "Exceptions" list.
The button for the list is found right behind the "block pop-up windows" checkbox, if the site URL is in there remove it.

Can you share the news site so I can have a look at what might be the problem?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Mcyukon,

thank you for your reply.

I have no exception listed for pop-ups, but do block cookies from sites that I do not use! That's why I cant understand how that pop -up turns up in the background!

Also, I have to say while on some newsportals, a botton turns up on the far right of the the browser window asking me to "allow" reloading browser.

Sometimes this "allow" button either suggested the options of "open pop-up", "always open this pop-up from this site" or block this pop-up from this site, or just reloads the tab only!

Wenspaper portals:
europe.wsj.com/home-page
handelsblatt.com
ftd.de

Thank you for any of your useful inputs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I looked at the sites code and think that they are using Javascript or flash to open the popups, due to this they can't always be blocked using the built in blocker.
These popups will need to be blocked with Adblock Plus or NoScript.
Could you install one or both of them and see if the popups still open?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
McYukon,

thanks for looking into the matter.

I will try the suggested add-ons, and will get back with some feedback!

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi McYukon, thanks again for the hint. In fact I did use "noscript" long time ago, after my than WS based laptop broke I didnt reinstall it again on my new laptop. Why; I havent a clue though I was pretty happy with "Noscript" compared to others! Adblock, wasnt useful to meet my needs at all...! For now those unrealistic spamming insurance etc pop-up dont turn up anymore. Would you be able to give me some user hints; if you allow a "site" it still keeps asking you about to "allow" seems like secondary providers on a site from the same web page which doesnt seem to be visible in any way on the site. How do I know, how useful secondary providers are, without blocking the functionality of a trust worth website? WHat happens if you select "allow all this page"? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would you be able to give me some user hints; if you allow a site it still keeps asking you about to allow seems like secondary providers on a site from the same web page which doesn't seem to be visible in any way on the site.
This is because the sites have scripts embedded in them that you can't see, and they link back to what ever site they send information to.
Even this forum has scripts linking to inetinteractive.com, skimlinks.com, and doubleclick.net of which almost all are some kind of advertising.
How do I know, how useful secondary providers are, without blocking the functionality of a trust worth website?
You can't really, but if it has the words doubleclick, ad, or anything related to advertising in it you can block it.
WHat happens if you select allow all this page?
This lets the site run all scripts, no matter where they connect to.
More info about NoScript
NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - features - InformAction
NoScript - JavaScript/Java/Flash blocker for a safer Firefox experience! - faq - InformAction

I hope I understood your questions right, some of them aren't to clear.
Cheers

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi McYukon, sorry for not being to clear enough at times as I wrote them late into the night. So far I understood overall your points, but it seems to me it can be often tricky to block certain "third" party provider(s) without knowing exactly who they are and what kind of contribution they do to a site. As it happens because of the blocking one does, one might not be able to utilize the functionality of a site properly! Anyway, thank you very much for your useful inputs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, yes I have that problem to sometimes with certain sites.
The only thing you can do then is try playing with the allowing/disallowing settings till the site seems to work normally and the popups/ads still are gone.

Cheers,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.