what's better for video editing?

N

no0neelse

I'm going to be taking some digital imaging and video classes in the fall and was looking to get my first Mac. Right now I can get the older 17" G5 iMacs with 256MB RAM and the nVidia GeForce chip for $799AR. My question is: should I bite? Will this mac suffice my video editing/image editing needs? I was planning to go with a mac mini, however I don't know how it will perform with programs like Final Cut, etc and figured a Mac with a dedicated graphics would be a lot better. Also, getting the keyboard/mouse/display all-in-one for only a couple hundred more doesn't look like a bad idea.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! I only have the iMac on hold for a week!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
an imac g5?...800 bucks...yes by all means get it and upgrade the ram to at least 1gig

OP
Z

zap2

get ti then max out the ram, should be faster then( what ghz, 1.8 or 1.6)

OP
N

no0neelse

iLEFTOVERCRACK said:
an imac g5?...800 bucks...yes by all means get it and upgrade the ram to at least 1gig
Yeah I was looking at the powerbooks at my school's bookstore and I over heard the assistant telling an older lady that the leftover iMac G5's went down to $799, since they just got a large order of the new versions (with Radeon chips).

Which programs would actually benefit from the new 128MB Radeon chip? (i.e. Motion 2...) I assume the nVIDIA GeForce would be adequate for my needs (video editing, not much gaming, maybe warcraft).

OP
N

no0neelse

zap2 said:
get ti then max out the ram, should be faster then( what ghz, 1.8 or 1.6)

It's 1.8 with superdrive. There's a 1.6 w/ combo drive for $699 after 100 mail-in rebate.

Reaction score
iMac G5 or what

Which would be better for video editing with final cut pro?

Summary

* • 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256
* • Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
* • 160GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
* • ATI Radeon 9600 w/128MB DDR SDRAM
* • Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
* • 16x SuperDrive double-layer (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* • Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
* • Mac OS X - U.S. English

Estimated Ship:
1-3 business days
Free Shipping
Subtotal $3,498.00

----------or--------------------

Summary

* • 2GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs
* • 250GB Serial ATA drive
* • SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
* • Keyboard & Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
* • None
* • 56Kbps Modem
* • 20-inch widescreen LCD
* • 2GHz PowerPC G5
* • ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
* • AirPort Extreme
* • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Estimated Ship:
2-4 business days
Free Shipping
Subtotal $2,816.00

OP
U

UncSki1218

probably the second one...the ram with give you the power to do lots of multitasking. the dual 2ghz might also do the same but it has less ram and is far more expensive

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.