MacBook Pro Obscenely Slow

OP
J
Reaction score
Mac OS X: About the Archive and Install feature

This goes into detail for you. It's a quick and dirty way of getting system files back in line. :)

If the OS is still slow after that, backup and do Erase and Install, which wipes all.

So it seems Snow Leopard does that automatically. I'm nervous to wipe everything and reinstall. Seems like a huge pain for something that I'm not sure will fix my problem.

My stupid machine takes 5+ minutes to boot, and things are getting worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
So it seems Snow Leopard does that automatically. I'm nervous to wipe everything and reinstall. Seems like a huge pain for something that I'm not sure will fix my problem.

My stupid machine takes 5+ minutes to boot, and things are getting worse.

I don't understand where you got the impression that SL does this.

Have you already tried creating a new account and see if the problems persist?

That's the step to try before going system-wide.

Create a new admin account, delete your account (saving it as an image to the Deleted Users folder) and login as the new one.

If that's doesn't work, back it all up and erase. It's not as daunting as it seems.

Reaction score
Obscenely Slow

Hi Juice, I am new to Mac and have a similar problem. I have a 13inch MacBook Pro with about 10GB free space.

What I just did was delete the last program I installed, which made my Mac a lot slower. After that program (abt 150MB) was uninstalled, the speed Mac increased significantly. I guess some RAM and other memory was being used as this program was installed.
I also deleted alot of my Podcasts on iTunes as this ate up so much HD space.

In order to help solve my, and maybe your problem, can someone guide us wtih the following:
1. How to edit my start up files (ie, which programs are on standby when I turn on my Mac)
2. How to back up, transfer my iPhotos onto a hard drive.
3. If I use Picassa along side iPhoto, does that double the HD space used up?

Thanks,
Servantjob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.