MBP HDD squeaking problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD, 320M
My 6 month old HDD in my MBP has started making a squeaking noise, It started this morning , it was very cold when i booted it up would this contribute to the noise, also i closed the lid before i went to be and my alarm was meant to go off so it woke the laptop from sleep but because the lid was closed it when to back to sleep i think it repeated about 10 times might this have caused it?

Please help, i have a time machine backup so im not going to loose anything.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure it's the hard drive that's squeaking? Hard drives will normally make a clicking sound or even a grinding sound when they're defective or getting ready to die. It may be one of your cooling fans that's squeaking.

In any event, since your MBP is still under warranty, I would take it on in and let an Apple tech look at it. Make sure you keep your Time Machine backup up to date, just in case.

Regards.

OP
funkdabeat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My MBP is an 06 model, the HDD is new :) When i was copying files it would make an intermittent squeak. i read about it and people just say that the reader/writer is touching the disc and that i should get a new one, but i could prevent it then i would rather do that, as it would be cheaper.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. I guess I didn't read your post close enough, I thought the machine was only 6 months old. If the HDD heads are touching the disk and making a squeak sound, it won't be long before the heads crash destroying the drive and your data along with it.

Make a good backup while you can and then stop using the drive. Notify whoever made the drive and ask for a RMA. You didn't mention the maker of the drive but it should be still under warranty. Don't wait... replace the drive as soon as you can.

Regards.

OP
funkdabeat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the maker of the HDD is seagate, ill see if i can get a replacement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.