Ghost

Reaction score
I have a macbook which had a 60gb hard drive, 60gb wasn't enough!
so i got a 500gb and ghosted the image of the 60gb hard drive to my 500g, all works good except i have 60gb of stuff on my hard drive its says my whole hard drive is full even though its a 500gb hard drive ..:S'
help please .!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ghost really isn't intended to be used with HFS partitions. I'm surprised it actually worked and yielded a bootable system.

I would recommend formatting the 500GB drive and using SuperDuper! to do the clone.

Reaction score
Carbon Copy Cloner is much better for moving OSX data around.
Ghost sometimes seems to do weird things on Macs (Although it seems to work perfectly well for copying/restoring a single Windows partition).

Reaction score
So how exactly does the carbon copy cloner work?? Does it create a fully bootable copy of your HD onto another HD?? The reason i ask is i have a similar problem i have a 160gb HD in my mac mini and want to swap it for the WD HD in my external (500gb) so can i easily make the external a clone/ghost drive then pull the Drive out of the external and simply swap them over or does that program create a unbootable image of your HD??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Carbon copy cloner and superduper will both make a bootable clone of your HD.
So easy way is to clone your internal to your 500GB external, and then just plonk it in and you are up and running.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.