how to uninstall and reinstall programs

Reaction score
i bought a new MBP but the guy i bought it from said he would give me programs but they ended up being pirated so i am buying the programs. i just got the first one which is ms office 08 how do i uninstall it and then reinstall it so i can be legal? thanks for helping me as i am still very noob like when it comes to macs..

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
well it uninstalled great like that. but when i reinstalled it never asked me for my product key it just has the old key still in it. hmm

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I don't use Office at home or on my Macs, so I don't know how to change out the key.

Maybe it won't do anything until you try to update or something.

Might be a good idea to open up the Keychain, create a Secure Note and put your Office key in there so you'll have it whenever and not worry about carrying the disc around just in case.

At least you're legal now. It may not do anything until that guy installs the copy of Office on another Mac and tries to install an update.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
well it uninstalled great like that. but when i reinstalled it never asked me for my product key it just has the old key still in it. hmm

The MS uninstaller does not "quite" remove everything. I had to remove my copy of Office 2008 one time because of "Monolingual" (another story) and the uninstaller did not delete the encrypted product ID. I had to hunt it down and remove it before I could install 2008 again using the same PID.

I can't remember now where I found the file but it wasn't where it normally should be. In other words, it was buried. :(

But as bobtomay said, don't worry about. MS Office 2008 comes with three PIDs allowing for three installs in the same household. You're legal. :)

Regards.

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
thanks guys. i however did find it so i was able to change my key. but i really appreciate the responses and your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
RustProofCorn.... I have do give you good Karma (Rep) points for this.
Someone gave me bad Karma points today, and I think giving you the good Karma points for your choice will make me feel better too :p

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
harry i have been trying to do that for hours now. every time it says i cant install on this disk because the software isn't there and something wrong with a volume.. try to do whats right and shish

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Did you try going to the help menu in Word and check for updates from there?

OP
RustProofCorn
Reaction score
i am able to download the updates but when it goes to install it says the right software isn't on the disk and something about the volume.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
At this point, I would try a few options, as I can't rest easy until my Mac is doing everthing it can do as I know it should do.

First option:
Going old school, and using the uninstaller, and then searching every nook and cranny for anything Microsoft related and scrapping it.

Second option:
A clean install, and then install office, and once tested, restoring from backup.

Last option I can think of:
A clean install including zeroing out the drive, fresh install of Apps, and manually moving over my docs, pics, music, etc.

:/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.