Permissions will not Repair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
emac, G4 laptop, G5, imac 2.4Ghz intel duo,
Hi,

I run 10.5 my duo core laptop macbook has been running slow for a while and is now seizing. I run permissions time and again but they will not repair and the SUID files cannot be repaired whatever that means.

Below is a copy & paste of the permissions window.

HELP - would be really appreciated.

cheers

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Reading permissions database.
Reading the permissions database can take several minutes.

Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/AirPort Base Station Agent.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/Utilities/AirPort Utility.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/DVD.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSettings.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/FRSources.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Movies.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Music.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Photos.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/Podcasts.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Front Row.app/Contents/PlugIns/TV.frappliance/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Versions/A/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Frameworks/InternetUtilities.bundle/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHelper.app/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Permissions differ on "System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/RemoteDesktop.menu/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r-- .
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Permissions differ on "Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator/Contents/CodeResources", should be -rw-rw-r-- , they are lrw-rw-r-- .
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/pppd" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/sbin/vpnd" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
From the look of that report you've posted, I'd suggest you give the Macbook some maintenance with the Install Disk > Disk Utility > Verify Disk > Repair Disk (if necessary).

You don't say so, but I assume you're using Disk Utility > Repair Permissions from the hard drive-OS itself. It would better done with OnyX Titanium Software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To Maxy:

To clear those permission errors,

Run the free "ACLr8" utility. Download from here.

Regards.

Reaction score
If your using disk utility to do the repair, you could try using the command in terminal instead.
sudo diskUtil repairpermissions /
It will require your password to give it sudo access but it seems to be more reliable than the Disk Utility method.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the look of that report you've posted, I'd suggest you give the Macbook some maintenance with the Install Disk > Disk Utility > Verify Disk > Repair Disk (if necessary).

You don't say so, but I assume you're using Disk Utility > Repair Permissions from the hard drive-OS itself. It would better done with OnyX Titanium Software.

Thanks for your replies I will be doing everything. My problem is that the laptop seized halfway thru an interview and I had to urgently make other arrangements.

re install disk >disk utility mentioned above. I dont know what that means for sure. i figure it means put the OSX disc into the machine but when i did that it went to install???

Cheers & thanks for all your input.

Maxy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You need to restart your Mac with the disc inserted, and hold down the C when you hear the chime. Select language, then go to utilities in the menu bar>disk utility, and repair disk from there.
Once done you can quit utilities and quit the installer and reboot.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried the restart but the machine wouldnt do it.

I got a repairer around and he ran, i think, disk warrior, which found a problem with the hardrive.

in short, he is replacing the hard drive. my real concern was that i could never back it up, it always stopped 5.4 gb in. the repairer indicated that when it arrived at the problem on the hard drive the machine didnt know what to do and so froze.

i do a lot of travel and i wonder if leaving it in my wheely travel bag is the problem?? its always in sleep in the bag. but i wonder if that would damage the hardrive??

cheers & Thanks for the info
Maxy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh well Maxy you will get a variety of opinions on sleep vs. shutdown but for one always shut down when not in use and still a believer in the boot process being invaluable. Is possible I guess the drive got a knock whilst in sleep mode but drives do fail alas. Even more so 2.5" laptop drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I got a repairer around and he ran, i think, disk warrior, which found a problem with the hardrive.

If it's not an impertinent question, what did it cost to have your machine serviced by the technician - the Disk Warrior part?

The reason I ask is because DW @ US$100 is expensive for many people, and I often suggest that a faulty machine be taken to a technician who has DW to use, which could be a cheaper alternative to buying DW.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The reason I ask is because DW @ US$100 is expensive for many people, and I often suggest that a faulty machine be taken to a technician who has DW to use, which could be a cheaper alternative to buying DW.

Yes i would be interested too ...... Will be interesting to find out, for future reference

TM

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bearing in my mind I have had apples for about ten years and during a warranty repair a couple of years ago I was recommended to a repair. He has been here 3 times over that ten year period.

In Aussie dollars new hard drive (out of a sealed packet) $350 total (aussie dollars so to speak). the repairer ran DW to diagnose the problem so the program must be ok. this guy is a one eighty straighty though, i had a friend in london and those sharks over there were going to rip her for a hundreds just to look at it and find the problem. she shipped it over here and i got my guy to look at it, and she fixed the power something (she spilled water on it) and put in a aftermarket screen for $300 (Aussie).

re trend micro smart surfing not too sure about that program. Certainly the chat backup gave the WRONG advice when i had my bug, they reckoned the router was poisoned. Well it wasnt. proof of that was that when i connected the same router the same way (ethenet & airport) to my laptop those greyed out dodgy addressess in dns disappeared. however it has now picked up those bugs after i was able to upgrade.

i started a new thread after this one and have just noticed all the posts. Thanks for the assistance.

Trick is i figure finding someone who is honest and reliable. hit and miss until you get her though.

Cheers
Maxy

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey,

Just onto my 3rd red and I had an idea why doesnt some enterprising US macforumer start up a "preferred Mac repairer" thread. I mean then the punters stateside will be in a better position. limits on criticism too. Give them a 1 to 5 score or something and the reason why. I mean they do a bit of that on swedespeed (yes I am a volvo driver) but without a dedicated thread. I mean even LL Bean rate themselves. At least you guys might have a bit of an idea who to call when it all goes bad (the apple plan doesnt go long enough - Steve you reading this).

kind of like a cnet for repairers.

cheers
Maxy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.