Brand new macbook - need to change two HD partitions to single patition?

Reaction score
My sister has just bought a new macbook running snowleopard and I'm trying to configure it for her. I work in web so I'm IT literate but I'm not too familiar with macs.

It has a 250Gb HD split into two 125Gb partitions - the 'macintosh HD' (with all the apps, system files and such) and a 'data disc' (which is currently empty). I'm not sure why it has two partitions that's just the way it came.

I want it configured as a single 250Gb partition. I've gone into disk utility and deleted the 'Data Disc' partition. So far so good. Now I want to 'extend' the single macintosh HD partition so it uses the full 250Gb of the physical disc. But there is no handle on the Mac HD partition so I can't extend it and all the options are all greyed out so I can't change anything. It's like it's forcing me to have two partitions.

How can I make it a single partition?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
This sounds bizarre! I've never heard of this, but anyway....
You need to boot from the install disc (boot holding C as soon as you hear the chime until you see the spinning pin wheel).
Select the language, then go to utilities>disk utility in the menu bar and drag out the partition to fill out the space.
Once you are done, exit utilies and restart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.