Lost Document & Download files

Reaction score
I am new to the Mac world, receiving my first Mac at Christmas time. Mac OS x 10.6.2. Its wonderful and I wouldn't go back to a PC for anything. Having said that ... right after getting my new Mac I noticed that my Downloads folder that sits in my docking station was gone. I thought I was mistaken that it was ever there. Then yesterday, I think I accidentally put my Documents folder in the trash. How do I find these to put them back where they are visible in my docking station.

Thank you for any help you can offer.

SVHarmony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, let's sort this out. Dock items are like shortcuts in Windows. When you lose one, it's not a tragedy. We can fix that easily.

Folders in a Finder Window are the real deal. They correspond to directories in Windows, and hold the files, programs, etc. that you need to use your Mac.

The OS will not allow you to put your actual Documents folder in the Trash. An error message will show up and refuse to proceed with the action. You also cannot move your Documents folder. The only action the OS will permit is a copy.

To be reassured that you still have your Documents folder, double click your Hard Drive Icon, then your User folder (the one with the house) and it should be there.

Back to the Dock now... Drag that Documents folder to the right end of your Dock (or the bottom if the Dock is on the side). Release, and you should now have it back. Do the same for the Downloads folder that should be right next to the first one.

You're not all set just yet. For some reason, it will be displayed now as a Stack instead of a Folder. This is a bit confusing, but it's not my choice of terms. Right click (or control-click) on one of the two newly created Dock icons and look under Display as and pick Folder, because Stack will be selected. (even though Folder was the default when the computer shipped) Now you should be all set.

The confusing part:
When you drag a Folder icon to the Dock it creates a Stack. The definition of a Stack is a shortcut to a folder that is in the Dock. Why the Display as choice is between Folder and Stack is beyond me. Maybe it should say Display dock icon as and give you the choice of file or folder. That's the effect it has.

:)

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you

Oh bless you. Your instructions worked perfectly. I am one of those people who likes things just as I bought them... at least for awhile.... years some times, before I venture out and change things. I'm not sure how I lost these folders to begin with. Do you have any ideas how I could have done that? I certainly don't want to make that mistake again.

Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I have found that I am less likely to drag my docs and download folders off of the dock if I set them to " show as folder " instead of "show as stack"as it makes me open the folder to see what I want and not just be able to see the latest that was put there .

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Thats why we are here !

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Oh bless you. Your instructions worked perfectly. ... I'm not sure how I lost these folders to begin with. Do you have any ideas how I could have done that? I certainly don't want to make that mistake again.

You're very welcome. I'm glad you're back in business.

It's very easy to accidently grab and drag an icon off of the Dock. Now that you know how to put it back, and even have the instructions above, you can do it intentionally and observe the effect. When you drag it above your Dock, the icon becomes faded, and a little image of a puff of smoke appears. If you release the mouse button, that puff of smoke goes "poof" and disappears, along with the icon.

Now, there is a way to "freeze" the Dock, but that involves installing software known as a third-party (non-Apple) enhancement. I take it that you would not be interested in that. There is also a way to "lock" the Dock preferences without any additional software, but that unfortunately will not prevent you from "poofing" Dock icons.

Your Finder Windows, such as your "Home" folder window, also have items in the Sidebar along the left. These items will also go Poof if you drag them out of the Sidebar. The solution for that is similar. Find the original, and drag it back to the Sidebar.

Come back with more questions as often as you like. We'll be here. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.