MBP. Output question. HDMI, Mini DisplayPort, VGA

Reaction score
Hey all.
I have a Unibody MBP with Mini DisplayPort output.
I have a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter which allows me to view my Mac on my HDMI enable TV, this works great :)
I saw this cable on ebay: 1.8m VGA to HDMI Cable Adapter M/M For Laptop PC LCD TV on eBay (end time 08-Apr-10 22:00:04 BST)
Will I be able to use that to connect from the HDMI adapter to my external monitor with a VGA input?
I think it should work because I believe these leads are for connecting a HDMI output to an external monitor.
Any help or expertise will be appreciated :)
Regards.
Will

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No, no, no, no, no.......

Do not be conned by these disreputable companies.

Please note the little disclaimer they have listed there:
NOTE: Your Video card must support digital signal output through VGA port function. Please consult with your VGA card's user manual for more information.

I have never seen any such animal as a video card that outputs a digital signal from it's VGA port. VGA by it's very definition is an analog signal. Don't be confused by most of the original DVI ports that did carry both the analog and digital signal with these scammers.

You can get from VGA to HDMI, but it is going to take a converter, not just an adapter. The converters that will do this job are going to range from roughly $100 at the low end up to $250.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for your swift reply. :)
What about this one then:
GOLD 1.5M HDMI MALE TO SVGA VGA M CONVERTER A/V CABLE on eBay (end time 17-Apr-10 17:51:21 BST)
It says:
"This HDMI to VGA HD15 (Male) connects your HDMI enabled devices, HDTV (not from your PC or Laptop) to your monitor."
Surely if this would connect a DVD player with HDMI output, it can connect my mac that now has HDMI output?
Or am I being completely stupid?
And if this is not possible, why do Apple sell Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters?
Regards.
Will

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is not a converter, I don't care what the seller is calling it. It's not going to work. IT's cheap enough though, so you're not out much money when it doesn't work.

You are going to need a real converter to get from a purely digital signal to analog or vice-versa. No adapters are going to work.
The #1 clue: most converters will require power, either from USB or wall outlet. If it's not powered, more than liekly it's an adapter and not a converter.

If you want to get to a VGA output from the mini display port on a Mac - read post # 5 in the following thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

What I have there is about as cheap as it can be done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.