Cleaning the Screen on a Mac (?)

Reaction score
Yes, you can clean glue from screen without damage

I'm a middle school teacher. That may help to explain this post.

Yesterday, a vengeful student put a glob of gorilla glue on my macbook air screen. I got most of it removed with a nearby bottle of clear hand sanitizer, which is mostly ethyl alcohol. However, a grey blotch was left on the screen.

After panic, tears, and pressing charges, I decided that I had little to lose, and much to gain, if the hand sanitizer would do its magic gorilla-glue dissolving trick again.

I propped the macbook so that the screen was flat on the table, face up. Then I saturated the dirty spot with the clear (ethyl alcohol) hand sanitizer, and left it on for 30 seconds. I wiped it with soft tissue, and, voila!

Clean screen, no damage. Although I am still pressing charges. Anyway, wanted to share this tip with the community.

mj

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 iMac 27" i7 - iPAD 16gb - Mac mini G4 - ATV3
I have this cleaner from Belkin called Pure AV. It is specifically made for TV screens and laptop/desktop monitors. I came with a micro fiber cloth and contains no alcohol. It's a low viscosity gel that I spray on the cloth and then wipe the screen down. It's also anti-static.
Been using it for over a year and works great.

--------------
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Air, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD; iPhone 4s; iPod Classic 6th Gen
I got some LCD screen cleaning foam made by Phillips I believe. It has worked great, no streaks and costs about 50% less than the Monster stuff. To be honest though, I have used my glasses cleaning solution before and it works just the same. $1.99 at Wal-Mart. A Micro-fiber cloth is a prerequisite though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
+1 for iKlear and a microfiber towel. You paid all that money for a Mac. Do you really want to ruin it by trying to go cheap on how you clean it?

Don't use Kleenex or paper towels. They both contain wood fibers that can scratch your screen. That's straight from the Apple information about cleaning the machine.

C

chas_m

I realise the post I'm responding to is way back, but Windex is TERRIBLY bad for most LCD monitor screens regardless of how you apply it. It has ammonia which eats the special coatings.

Now, recent Macs uses a form of glass and it MAY now be safe to use Windex, but I'd bet that glass is still treated with special coatings so I wouldn't. Just MO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
+1 for iKlear and a microfiber towel. You paid all that money for a Mac. Do you really want to ruin it by trying to go cheap on how you clean it?

Well, no, but if you knew the chemical composition of iKlear, and could easily make your own solution for 1/10th of the cost, why not? Maybe it's the formula in my old post above. (?)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.