Word 2004 to Office X problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
I'm using Office for Mac 2004. I send a Word document to someone who is using Office for Mac 2008. She sent me an email stating that she sees squiggly lines instead of hyphens, and other weird problems. She tried changing fonts, etc., nothing helps. She copied and pasted a paragraph to show me, but I do not see the squiggly lines in the email or the Word document I originally sent her. (I'm using Entourage for email.)

Any known hiccups between these two versions of Word?

OP
jediracer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well then let it be known there are hiccups

OP
jediracer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another strange issue with the same person.

I received the document back form her and all the bold and italic had disappeared.

What the heck is going on?

Font compatibility issue or something?

Anyone have any insight at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
What font are you using and does that other person have the font? Are both your software and their software up to date?

OP
jediracer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I sent it to her in lucida grande and got it back in baskerville. My software is up to date, and hers is newly purchased. She double checked and says yes the file I sent did have bold and italic, but the edited file she sent back did not, and she's not sure what happened along the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Did she change the font herself or was it autochanged when she opened your file? do you have baskerville and does she have lucida grande?

OP
jediracer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am pretty sure she changed it herself. I do have baskerville, and assume she does have lucida grande, since it is used throughout the Mac OS X interface.

I did some digging and found that lucida grande is a "unicode" font while baskerville is not. Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.