NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 2GB RAM Mac OS X (10.5.6) + 2 x White MacBooks + iPhone 3G 16Gb
Hi All
I have a MacPro 2x2.66 Ghz Dual Core Intel Zeon with 4Gb 667 Mhz DDR2 FB-DIMM running 10.5.6

I have a 20" ACD and a HP L1702 screen attached being driven by a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT.

Occasionally the HP screen flickers with a purple colour cast, it seems to happen more when viewing java intensive web sites or if I am editing in Photoshop CS3, although it does happen on other occasions, just I have never related it to other apps. I have not noticed any issues with the 20"ACD which is regularly colour balanced.

When Snow Leopard was released, I upgraded my two MacBooks without issues, but on trying to upgrade the MacPro all went well until the final reboot and the screen(s) just cycled through showing the working desktop, then dark blue, then black and back to the desktop for a few seconds. I went through all the possible update combinations including a clean install. The problem still persisted.

In the end I decided to revert back - it was possibly linked to issues with the graphics card and resolution.

I am now in the situation where I need to upgrade to Snow Leopard and the purple casting on the HP screen is getting worse.

Are the two problems linked (ie. the colour casting & SL upgrade issues)?

What is the recommended replacement card and will this cure both issues?

I have posted the relevent info below.

Many thanks for all advice etc.

Simon

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro1,1
Processor Name: Dual-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP11.005C.B08
SMC Version: 1.7f10
Serial Number: CK71609ZUPZ

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Type: Display
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0393
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3008
Displays:
Cinema:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported
hp L1702:
Resolution: 1280 x 1024 @ 75 Hz
Depth: 32-bit Color
Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported
Rotation: Supported

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The issue could be the video card - I don't think so - the port you're using for the HP, the cable, or the HP monitor itself - this would be my first guess. The first thing to try is connect that HP to one of the other Macs to test it out.

OP
SimonPB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 2GB RAM Mac OS X (10.5.6) + 2 x White MacBooks + iPhone 3G 16Gb
The issue could be the video card - I don't think so - the port you're using for the HP, the cable, or the HP monitor itself - this would be my first guess. The first thing to try is connect that HP to one of the other Macs to test it out.

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I have tried the HP monitor with other devices for extended periods of time (MacBooks, Macbook Pro and a Windows laptop) and the monitor works fine in several resolutions. I have not had the same colour cast issues.

Thanks

Simon

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It could very well be the individual port on the card itself that is going out if you're now getting an issue with 10.5 & 10.6. Next would be trying a different cable to eliminate it unless you've used that same cable in your experiments already. The 7300 is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

OP
SimonPB
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It could very well be the individual port on the card itself that is going out if you're now getting an issue with 10.5 & 10.6. Next would be trying a different cable to eliminate it unless you've used that same cable in your experiments already. The 7300 is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

It is the same VGA lead to the monitor. The only thing not tested on other sources is the short DVI to VGA adaptor cable (Apple). But I have used this with a Sony projector without any problems.

I am now considering the ATI Radeon HD 4870 (£286 GBP in the Mac Shop:Grimmace:) as the replacement, although it is not directly supported for the MacPro 1.1, feedback on the product seems to indicate it works fine.

Simon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.