office full version?

J

justin1083

wait, so you have to buy office just to be able to use word, etc? is there any way not to pay to use word processing...? thanks! :)

OP
I

iMe

Well that sucks...How are they selling ibooks, and powerbooks to students when it doesnt offer word, excel, etc. I thougt Apple had their own program built in.

OP
E

ethea

Yeah office sucks if you have to buy it. But my iMac came with Keynote and Pages, which is the equivelant, no? Sorry I am 2 weeks into my new mac after a 8 year window where I was stuck on a PC...so still feelng my way around.

Also, what about Nimbus writer?

Reaction score
If you are using it for non-commercial purposes you can buy the 'Student and Teacher Edition' of Office for $150, thats not so bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
I bought the student version of Office for Mac...$150. It comes with 3 serial #'s, so you can install it three times. So I sold 2 installs to other students with macs, and so office ended up costing me $50. Not bad in my opinion.

OP
M

menace3054

amendolair said:
I bought the student version of Office for Mac...$150. It comes with 3 serial #'s, so you can install it three times. So I sold 2 installs to other students with macs, and so office ended up costing me $50. Not bad in my opinion.

technically that would be illegal, i dont care i just suggest that you dont post that here, but anyways yes macs nowadays ship with appleworks or pages or something to that effect, which is a word processor. I love Office for mac, i use entourage for my email program and I love excel. The student and teacher edition is a bargain.

OP
C

Cloudane

Quite an interesting one that... technically it's probably "more illegal" because rather than just downloading, you're distributing. OTOH, downloading they wouldn't get a penny but here at least they got something. Morally better and legally worse?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Depending on the school you attend, you may get a better discount. In my case I was able to get a full M$ office license for $20. The license was only valid while I was in school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I use NeoOffice/J without any problems so far. You can get it from the openoffice.org website as it is based on OOo but uses carbon to be more "Mac-like". Both OOo and NeoOffice let you work on MS Office formats.

OP
C

ciaran.mooney

How would distributing 3 licenses be illegal? You have paid for the extra license, or its included in the price. It becomes yours doesnt it? To do with what you wish.

You are not making a profit has you still $50 out of pocket. Its not like you sold the other two licenses for $100 and come out $50 up!

OP
C

Cloudane

It doesn't become yours, they basically allow you to hire the software under their terms, which are set out in the EULA...

1.1 Installation and use. You may install a copy of the Software on three personal computers or other devices in
your household for non-commercial use by people who reside in your household.

So technically, unless the other 2 Mac users were sharing a flat with you or something, it would actually be in voilation of the EULA (and therefore illegal)

IANAL and IA-not on a high horse (I've done far more dodgy things with software!) but if you want to know whether that's legal or not... answer is no :) Always read your EULA, they're usually very restrictive especially from Microsoft.

OP
F

fco1922

Distributing licenses

It is illegal because the license you purchased was for our own use (you are given three licensses in case you should need to reload your software after a crash or should you somehow corrupt your operating system). You are in effect "reselling" software which is a major no-no under US federal law and EU law. My advice: do not post anything of this nature. It's like putting up a sign and saying "come get me"...

ciaran.mooney said:
How would distributing 3 licenses be illegal? You have paid for the extra license, or its included in the price. It becomes yours doesnt it? To do with what you wish.

You are not making a profit has you still $50 out of pocket. Its not like you sold the other two licenses for $100 and come out $50 up!

OP
C

Cloudane

Even that's not correct. If you corrupt your OS, you're well within your right to reinstall the software as many times as you need to. That's been well established as "must" ever sinice Windows was invented :)

This is saying you can run it for your own use on 3 computers (let's say 1 at home, 1 at uni and 1 laptop). But they must be *your* computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D 24" and MB C2D
The guy who sold me the student/teacher edition at the Apple store literally told me to do that, I really didnt realize it was illegal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
amendolair said:
The guy who sold me the student/teacher edition at the Apple store literally told me to do that, I really didnt realize it was illegal.
If that's even actually true, then I would report that Apple store and the employee to the Microsoft Piracy division.

Personally to me, that doesn't even sound right I don't care if the guy told you. I think software pirates are scum, but that's just my personal opinion. There are alot of people who put in alot of work to make this stuff and you just rip them off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
schweb said:
...I think software pirates are scum, but that's just my personal opinion. There are alot of people who put in alot of work to make this stuff and you just rip them off.
I don't know about "scum," but I can't stand people who don't pay for the stuff they use.

If Office is worth the $150 (etc.) to you, then buy it. If you can't afford the $150, don't use it. If you need it, then you need it, and you either find the money or find another pursuit.

As for word processing, there are dozens of ways to do it.

TextEdit (built in)
AppleWorks (Free with eMac, mini, iMac, iBook. $40 education, $80 otherwise)
Pages, part of iWork ($50 education, $80 otherwise)
EasyWord free
Mellel $40
MarinerWrite $50
Nisus Writer Express $60
NeoOffice/J or OpenOffice, Free

If you can get Word, especially at reduced prices, then do so, but if you can't, there's no reason to resort to piracy.

OP
F

fco1922

Corrupted OS

True, but that is not the point here. There is no suggestion that the OS has been corrupted on numerous systems. The real issue is that the licenses are issued to an individual (at most a 'household' but this is more a concession on the part of the company than a point of law).

Besides, the real point is to be careful what you say on bulletin boards. They are public. Discretion is never misplaced.

I also agree that you shouldn't supported pirated software. Microsoft may be huge but you decide whether to use their products--and just because they are rich and powerful doesn't make it right to effectively steal their stuff. Trading licenses is just another version of pirating--not much different from shoplifting the software from a store.

Cloudane said:
Even that's not correct. If you corrupt your OS, you're well within your right to reinstall the software as many times as you need to. That's been well established as "must" ever sinice Windows was invented :)

This is saying you can run it for your own use on 3 computers (let's say 1 at home, 1 at uni and 1 laptop). But they must be *your* computers.

OP
F

fco1922

Advice from sales clerks

Not surprising--they tell you many wonderful things. I wouldn't fret it but just don't go into such discussions publicly.

amendolair said:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.