Powerbook superdrive reads DVD-RAM

Reaction score
I know this is not very popular and I suppose you folks could careless...but just fyi...I just purchased my first mac...the powerbook 15' and it reads DVD-RAM disk. The superdrive is model uj-835e. I mention this only cause I've read some where around here previously that the ability to read DVD-RAM disk had been turned off. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i thought that DVD-RAM came in a cartridge?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I believe they are cartridge type disks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea thats what i though so how the heck can a PB read them?

Reaction score
dvd-ram doesnt have to be cartridge, the dvd will last longer if you keep it in a cartridge (ie will last more rewrites)...i have a panasonic set top box dvd-recorder (you know, the ones you connect to the TV) it came with a dvd-ram disc that had no caddy (looks like normaly dvd),but i also bought a double sided disc that was in a caddy to go with it too!

pretty good that dvd-ram works, who actually makes the superdrives? or does it vary? i think LG and panasonic are the main people who bother to include dvd-ram in any of thier pc based drives.

OP
R
Reaction score
zeta101 said:
dvd-ram doesnt have to be cartridge, the dvd will last longer if you keep it in a cartridge (ie will last more rewrites)...i have a panasonic set top box dvd-recorder (you know, the ones you connect to the TV) it came with a dvd-ram disc that had no caddy (looks like normaly dvd),but i also bought a double sided disc that was in a caddy to go with it too!

pretty good that dvd-ram works, who actually makes the superdrives? or does it vary? i think LG and panasonic are the main people who bother to include dvd-ram in any of thier pc based drives.

Thanks for clarifying. My drive seems to be made by Matsh1ta uj-835e I heard the uj-845 can actually be firm graded to do dual layer...wish the 835 made the cut.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.