Will upgrading from Mac OSX Tiger to Leopard delete or format my harddrive?

Reaction score
Hi. I had a computer that I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. It formatted my harddrive. Will upgrading Mac OS do the same? Is it NECESSARY to back files up, either from an external hardrive or something? Cause the problem is I dont have an external HD.

Btw, I have an imac G5 thats 1.5GB RAM, 1.9GHz PowerPC G5. It should be able to run leopard fine, correct? not snow leopard btw.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums
It will be fine running Leopard.
As for saving your files, you will need to do an archive and install.... see Installing Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
I still recommend getting an external HD, as they are that cheap now, and if anything goes wrong, you will be kicking yourself.
In any case, no computer user should be without an external HD for backups.
If you need help with backup solutions, or have any other questions, please post back!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In any case, no computer user should be without an external HD for backups.

Crossing my fingers here. I've had my Mini for going on 2-1/2 years with no external HD for backups. (I use a flash drive to copy files to.) I had my G3 for nine years with no external HD for backups. (I used a Zip drive and Retrospect Express for backups.) Only one problem: my fingers are tired! ;)

Is it necessary to backup before updating the OS? No, it's not. It is advisable, because you never know when something could go wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Crossing my fingers here. I've had my Mini for going on 2-1/2 years with no external HD for backups. (I use a flash drive to copy files to.) I had my G# for nine years with no external HD for backups. (I used a Zip drive and Retrospect Express for backups.) Only one problem: my fingers are tired! ;)

Is it necessary to backup before updating the OS? No, it's not. It is advisable, because you never know when something could go wrong.

LOL ...toMACsh, someone's been a lucky man, and I have my fingers crossed for you too brother.
Don't worry, I won't start grilling you on time machine and clones, but just know, I really want to :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi. I had a computer that I upgraded from Vista to Windows 7. It formatted my harddrive.

No. Installing Leopard will not automatically format your hard drive.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
To the original poster:

It is not necessary to back up your files when you upgrading from an older to a newer version os OS X. It just over writes your old system with the new system and the rest of your hard drive is for the msot part untouched.

But in saying that having a backup though not needed is a nice piece of mind a lot of people would like to have. And there are a few options when you upgrade to Leopard.

Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: About installation options
And this article from Apple explains them very well. I would suggest you read this article from Apple very carefully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the bad rep point for disagreeing with my post ********!
Here was your message if you forgot what you wrote!

"A straight upgrade is possible. No archive+install is necessary"

Certainly not necessary, and I should have worded it "I would advise" rather than "You will need to".... but I did provide the link that explained all the solutions (worded correctly)!!!
Archive an install is the safest option if you don't have a backup on an external HD, which the OP didn't!

Oh, by the way, you forgot to sign your name when giving me the bad rep points :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks for the bad rep point for disagreeing with my post ********!
Oh, by the way, you forgot to sign your name when giving me the bad rep points :p

Hmm. And no post by whomever to "clarify" the issue. There's a word for that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Edit:
It's all good toMACsh
Also, the bad rep I got wasn't from who I thought it was, and I got a PM about it from the person who did give it to me.
Ahhhh, that's better ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.