• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

toast or popcorn?

F

Fallooza

toast or popcorn? wich is better? and what is the diference between the 2? im going to get 1 of these but dont know wich one is better.

OP
F

Fallooza

i want backups of my dvds. seem i will need one of there ta burnit after i rip it with mac the ripper. so how is popcorn better? other than its cheaper.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I don't think that Toast can compress files like Popcorn can...I'm not sure though.

I think after ripping with MTR you have to compress with Popcorn to make it fit on a 4.7 GB disc...or does MTR compress? I don't think it does, nor does Toast....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
I used MTR in addition to YuBurner (Open Source software) to make a backup of one of my Aqua Teen Hunger Force DVDs. The file that MTR ripped fit on a 4.7 GB DVD, but I don't know if MTR compressed it, or it just luckily fit on the DVD.

I tried sending an email to Roxio to see if Toast could do the same thing as Popcorn, but they never responded :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
im pretty sure that MTR does compress the data

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have been using MacTheRipper for over a year now. I have never seen it or seen an option for MacTheRipper to compress. It rips it to the HDD at full size but takes out the country code and any copy protection. I use DVD2OneX to compress, but with Popcorn, you can compress and burn in the same program. If I was getting a program to make copies of factory DVD's, I would get Popcorn over Toast. Toast is a Burning and copy program for CD's and DVDs but not for shrinking of ripped DVD's to fit a 4.7GB DVD-R. With the still high cost of Dual Layer DVD's, Shrinking is important!

I am all for backups of my DVD's so if something happens, it will be the copy and I will not have to pay the full price all over again, so I have done a lot of backup of DVD's that I watch a lot. What I use is MacTheRipper to rip the DVD, DVD2OneX to compress, and then the Disk Utility in OSX to burn. That is 3 steps. If you get Popcorn, you will combine the compress and burn into one program. Would save time. I should buy Popcorn myself so I can start it and leave and not have to babysit the thing! :D

Hope this helps.

On the PC by the way, I used to use DVDShrink and Roxio to burn as DVDShrink rips and shrinks in one step.

OP
F

Fallooza

thanks i cant tell u how much ive learned from this forum.i just odered popcorn. dude its only $40 sounds like its werf it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Fallooza said:
thanks i cant tell u how much ive learned from this forum.i just odered popcorn. dude its only $40 sounds like its werf it.

I had Popcorn in my hand the night OSX Tiger came out and almost bought it then, but it was a bad month and I did not want to push it after paying for Tiger. Think I will get it next month. It will speed things up a lot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
if u like salt.. go for popcorn.. if ur like to accessorize your food, get bred, you can always combine it to make a wonderful bundle.

OP
F

Fallooza

ok now that i have that figured out. now i want to put MTR on a disk for back up. how do i do that? have some others too but i figure its the same with all of them. im using tiger can i burn it from the finder?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Okay, I'll play along.

Toast - Grape Jam/Jelly or Peach Preserves
Pop Corn - Red Pepper
Biscuit - Apple Butter

OP
Z

zap2

i read the title each time i saw it and i thought what?? but then i read the forum and now i feel smart

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fallooza said:
ok now that i have that figured out. now i want to put MTR on a disk for back up. how do i do that? have some others too but i figure its the same with all of them. im using tiger can i burn it from the finder?

Since you are using Tiger you can make a Burn Folder and add everything you want to burn into that folder then open it and click burn. Very handy. Make sure there is a blank CDR in the drive! :spook:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.