Safari won't stop inserting username...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac5, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.16 GHz, 3 GB, and a similar Mac Mini, both on SL
Even if I clear all cookies and I've checked that autofill is not turned on. Whenever I go to a website that I've inputted my username and password. That site always shows the user name when it is reopened. This is even after I've "Reset Safari" and "Empty Cache", and gone in and made sure all cookies were deleted.

Using Version 4.0.5 (6531.22.7)

What gives?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
This is Keychain in action. It's found in your Applications/Utilities folder. You can reset it if you want. I'm not sure if it can be disabled without removing it completely, or if that is advisable.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would resetting it mean to delete it from the Applications/Utilities/Keychain folder?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
NO, DO NOT delete the Keychain Utility! Just open Keychain Utility and look for the entry that has that password saved for that page. Delete just that entry.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I did just what you said. It seems to not insert my username now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Would resetting it mean to delete it from the Applications/Utilities/Keychain folder?
Just to clarify what I meant by that: open Keychain and click the Reset button. That clears all info and sets it back to how it shipped. I thought that's what you wanted to do.

Thanks travis for confirming that removing it is a bad idea!

Reaction score
Safari will not stop auto-filling forms for me

Hello,
I reset Safari and cleared the appropriate keychain in the Keychain Utility, however, Safari is still filling in forms for me. I am wondering if I should be deleting anything in any other area of my computer.
Thank you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Besides the Keychain, there is a setting in Safari itself for Usernames and Passwords. You can turn it off and on and even edit/delete them.

Safari, Preferences, Autofil Tab.

Here is a pic of that tab.

Picture 1.jpg

Reaction score
Thank you dtravis7! I checked it out and realised Safari was still autofilling all the information provided by my address book.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.