• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

What happens when Apple passes Microsoft in market value?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
What happens when Apple passes Microsoft in market value?
Apple vs. Microsoft: The Value Gap Is Closing

The writer predicts that very soon if the ipad is a massive hit as we all think it will be, that Apple will have more total net worth than Microsoft. So in one sense Apple will be bigger than Microsoft. The article also says that  vs M$ is not the real issue.  and M$ vs Google is the reall issue. The author says Google poses a massive threat to both companies.

From the article:
If Apple does in fact pass Microsoft in market cap, I can see CEO Steve Ballmer losing it
I'd love to be a fly on the wall when Steve Ballmer is told Apple is bigger then M$. The expression on his face would be priceless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.13Ghz 160GB 10.6.4 (Buggy Version :() Snow Leopard
Apple is already bigger than Microsoft in the sense they make better products and show greater ethical behaviour (Although no perfect.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Want to know the answer? Keep watching 'V' on the 9 Network th8thark and all will be revealed lol!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
iAd just proved that wrong ;)

As did their decision to have their products made in China for next to nothing pay *it's why they're over there* and silently enforcing a policy which makes it ok for security goons to practically beat people sensless, when they're caught with a cell phone in the work place. Come to think of it, that guy whom supposedly "committed suicide" after leaking info ? Something tells me he didn't really commit suicide. Just sayin'.

No one in that line of business cares about ethics. Don't be so naive. You don't get to be rich and powerful by being ethical. Just ask the Vatican. O:)

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well its even now to late to buy stocks at a reasonable price :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I brought ethics up on purpose because I've been doing things about in business studies recently. In fact, I recently did an essay on "Is there a business case for running a business ethically.".

In that essay I essentially wrote that it depends on the business. What is the business for? Sometimes the objectives of a business reefer to positive ethics, and if they achieve their ethical objectives, then they have been successful for those. I also weighed up the positives and negatives relating to profitability and marketing. I got an A*.

"No one in that line of business cares about ethics. Don't be so naive"

No, that statement is very stupid.

Also there is nothing unethical about advertising. If others think so, it proves one thing I stating in my essay which is that ethics is subjective. Businesses should work towards achieving consensus when attempting to be ethical. I gave an example about the controversy of violent video games. Are they unethical for existing or is it unethical to ban them because of liberty?

An example of attempted ethical behaviour from Apple is the removal of toxins from their products after coming under criticism.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ethics is extreemly subjective but I think their is a baseline for buisness ethics that more or less applies across the board.

I don't consider Apple building products in China unethical any more than I do when any other company does it. I don't belive Apple explicety condones whatever the disciplinary action of those companies are and I'm not sure they can really control those actions even if they chose to.

As for removing toxins? Well, it makes a good headline and sells more machines, perhaps at higher profit margin. Is that wrong or unethical? As an Apple Stockholder I'd say no, but that's just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac 3.06; 24" iMac 3.06; MBP 15 i7; 13" Macbook 2.4; 32gb iPodTouch; iMac G4; PowerMac G3&G4
I jump up and down and scream like a little girl.
I switched a bunch of my stock out for Apple a few years back.
Go Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I brought ethics up on purpose because I've been doing things about in business studies recently. In fact, I recently did an essay on "Is there a business case for running a business ethically.".

In that essay I essentially wrote that it depends on the business. What is the business for? Sometimes the objectives of a business reefer to positive ethics, and if they achieve their ethical objectives, then they have been successful for those. I also weighed up the positives and negatives relating to profitability and marketing. I got an A*.

"No one in that line of business cares about ethics. Don't be so naive"

No, that statement is very stupid.

Also there is nothing unethical about advertising. If others think so, it proves one thing I stating in my essay which is that ethics is subjective. Businesses should work towards achieving consensus when attempting to be ethical. I gave an example about the controversy of violent video games. Are they unethical for existing or is it unethical to ban them because of liberty?

An example of attempted ethical behaviour from Apple is the removal of toxins from their products after coming under criticism.

Actually, my statement isn't stupid. It's very general. Quite a different beast. And don't be so smug just because your professor agreed with your line of double talk and black and white logic. I could just as easily agree with what you've said, as I do see the logic in it, but when we're talking about business, it really only ever boils down to how to make your business as profitable as possible. Should that mean advertising that you're "Green", then so be it. I never said I had any qualms with how they advertise.

As far as ethics being subjective, I don't prescribe to that particular notion. Ulterior motives and ethics usually play right into one another, and we all know exactly what the differences are between 'right' and 'wrong'. It's how we choose to play with and manipulate the public's perception of these things, which decides the state of our businesses on the whole.

I think you read way too much into my sarcastic comments, btw. :Smirk:

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I jump up and down and scream like a little girl.
I switched a bunch of my stock out for Apple a few years back.
Go Apple!

I'm right there with you...!

Reaction score

I strongly disagree with you there. That's a pure and simple marketing/business decision. Someone points out a flaw, company fixes it, company looks like it cares.

It's pure and utter (word i cannot use here)!

What would have been ethical would have been making sure the products are clean of any toxins/bugs/defects BEFORE release.

Reacting to a problem is not ethical. It's just "good business"

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Reacting to a problem is ethical and it is also good business. It's also good for the environment if the issue is a green one. It's all about how the solution to the problem is portrayed. So fixing the problem can be spun to suit any arguement/point someone is trying to make.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8Mhz, 3G iPhone, iMac Pro 15"
Apple = retirement

I'm right there with you...!

I just wish I would have sold everything I had when I purchased APPL last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"I strongly disagree with you there. That's a pure and simple marketing/business decision. Someone points out a flaw, company fixes it, company looks like it cares."

Ethics comes into marketing a lot. Some companies try to do few things ethical and bring that to the public attention and then hide everything else. It's possible Apple genuinely cared bout these issues but we can't be sure.

" black and white logic" My talk of subjectivity and that every business is different is much less black and white than your "No one in that line of business cares about ethics."

"As far as ethics being subjective, I don't prescribe to that particular notion. Ulterior motives and ethics usually play right into one another, and we all know exactly what the differences are between 'right' and 'wrong'."

We all have different opinions on right and wrong. How can you say that. Islamic terrorists by blowing themselves up in public places think they are doing the right thing.

The business example I gave was for the violent video games. That's a very subjective issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We all have different opinions on right and wrong. How can you say that. Islamic terrorists by blowing themselves up in public places think they are doing the right thing.

Right. But NORMAL people whom aren't brainwashed by fantasy, is the target market we're talking about. Drawing such an obscene parallel really discredits your argument a lot. You're reaching far too much. Personally, I could care less about the grades you get, and am happy that you're doing well in your class. But the reality of the world vs. the world you're creating with your personal ideas which stem from market statistics, do not live in harmony. You can not rely solely on what you read in class or in a magazine or news paper alone. Let's include the general media while we're at it.

Get back to us when you're really making it in the world in the next decade or two. And that is not a slight at you. That said, I'll not go any further here. Good luck to you in the future, and I hope that you will manage to practice safe and ethical business practices while making money at the same time.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where did I say I wanted to run an ethical business anywhere? Where did I say I wanted to run a business?

You must have read my mind because I do want to have my own business in the future.

In business studies we have been looking at John Lewis which has a cooperative culture, where the employees are named partners because they are. John Lewis treats employees very well. The employees are hence well motivated. John Lewis also wishes employees to have good product knowledge.

This means the level of customer service is kept high and John Lewis can use premium prices because of this advantage.

Remember the title of the essay, "Is there a business case for being ethical." In the case of John Lewis the answer is yes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.