Slow Internet With Mac

Reaction score
Hey all,

This has been bothering me for a while and its got to the point where I can't use my mac for everyday internet searching.
In Sept 2009 I got a Mac OS X Desktop Version 10.5.8
Ever since I got it my net has been a big problem. I have got a pc laptop that I have ended up using for most of my internet searches (which I am currently using) but it would be nice to work and surf on the same computer- My Mac.

So since its a fairly new Mac I don't see why it has issue. Am I missing something about macs?

Anyway here are the details about the Mac-

Mac OS X
Version 10.5.8
Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 800MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Aiport Card Type: AirPort Extreme

I have got a laptop that is right next to my mac and it works fine. I am so confused. If there is any more information needed please ask, I just want to solve this problem.

Thank You
Helen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
So obviously next to each other - for you, the PC runs internet searches faster. It must be pretty significant if you don't want to use the Mac. So the first question is - is it software or hardware? Have you tried plugging your Mac into ethernet and if so does it speed it up? If it doesn't change then it may be software. If it does speed up it may be an issue with the airport extreme or airport extreme setup.

If it is software - what browser are you using? What search engine are you using? Try google chrome - it runs quite fast.
Google Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac, and Linux

Is there any difference in the network setup between your two machines? I.E. - is the DNS the same?

OP
Z
Reaction score
Hey thank you for that,

After Iread your post I went searching around my options in the airport etc and Ifound that something about my password needed to be ticked, which meant that my mac was constantly basically "asking" my router if it had the right password before it loaded a webpage. Stupid mac, Now its fast and I am loving it,

Thank you for the help Though I might stop using Safari and go to google crome we shall see.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.