rEFIt advice needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, 2.53Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb DDR3 RAM, 500gb 5400rpm HDD & iPhone 3GS 16gb
Hey!

I am getting my MacBook Pro next week, and was just looking for some information on triple-booting it with Mac OS X, Windows XP, and Windows 7.

The only guides I have found seem to be years old (and working with Vista, not 7), so I'm not completely sure if they are still relevant.

Could anyone possibly shed some light on the subject, about the go about it the proper way? I'm probably looking for a step-by-step guide or walkthrough etc.

I can also confirm I'm going to be working with rEFIt for this.

Thanks in advance,
Brendan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, Power Mac G4, iMac G3, iPhone 3GS
Why do you need XP and 7? Anyway Windows 7 is 100% identical to Windows Vista, don't let tech pundits or marketing tell you otherwise. Same instructions will work. I'd say put 7 in Boot Camp and just run XP in Parallels. But this requires something crazy:

Purchase a license for Windows 7 Home Premium or higher.
Purchase a license for Windows XP Pro
Purchase Parallels.

Why not just run 7 in Boot Camp and let that be it? You can then run Virtual PC which is free if you need some XP crud.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro, 2.53Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4gb DDR3 RAM, 500gb 5400rpm HDD & iPhone 3GS 16gb
That was what I did originally have in mind, but it's not just simple applications that I want to run - a few graphics-intensive, but fairly old games that I know won't run in 7, and things like old versions of Cubase etc that require a dongle that doesn't want to play nice in 7.

I've already done my research, and have decided that this is the way to go. I need to run everything natively.

However, thankyou very much for your reply :) much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd say then just run XP in Boot Camp and not fiddle with 7. I dunno. I've used Windows for a total of about 8 hours since 1990, so I don't really know.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would like to stick with just XP to be honest. I just wanted 7 to keep up-to-date really. Plus I have a license for 7 that I haven't used yet, so just thought I'd stick on there to get used to it really, lol.

I may just follow a guide for Vista, and see how it works out.

If worst comes to worst, I can just re-installed Snow Leopard or something, can't I? I won't have any files or anything on yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's true! If you don't have any data to lose, then there's no harm. And heck, you'll learn a lot from doing it all! I went and looked at the rEFIt and it looks like it would do the work for you. I'd just be worried of whether it would interfere with the Macintosh's built in EFI. Ya know... EFI tries to boot rEFIt and then you try to boot OS X from rEFIt.

I dunno. I'm still not used to this crazy Intel world :/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP 2.5GHz Core2Duo | 1.83Ghz Dual G5 PowerMac | 2.0 GHz Dual G5 PowerMac
Don't use Bootcamp at all, use iPartition with ReFit. I have REfit on my machine, though I only have one additional partition, it's all the same. I don't like Bootcamp because it gives me errors a lot saying I can't make partitions and that my hard drive is bad, when it really isn't. iPartition is a whole lot better, and gives you more options for the partitions like shrink and grow. Look into it, they're a nice pair.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your replies.

@Jamie-Jamie, I'm new to the whole Mac world, so don't know a lot, but I'm sure it probably wouldn't interfere with Mac's EFI would it? Otherwise it'd make the system unstable or something, and no one would use it? I don't know - I'm just being over-reasoning.

@mknabster, you're saying to use iPartition over Disk Utility, right? I'll definately look into it, but is there any specific advantage using iPartition over Disk Utility? I only ask because iPartition isn't free....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.