• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Import Mpeg2 files in iMovie

Reaction score
I have a Sony harddiskrecorder DCR-SR75E, which creates Mpeg2 files. iMovie ca'nt open this files. What can I do?
Has someone experience whith this camera? Or with this problem?
Thanks, Jannes

C

chas_m

Perian does not support MPEG-2 because it is a licensed codec.

MPEG Streamclip (free) is among several programs that can convert these files for you, but you must first get the MPEG-2 Playback Component from Apple ($30).

From there you can convert the files to MPEG4 (lossy) or DV (lossless but large files) and work with them in iMovie and other programs.

Reaction score
anyway, u need to convert mpeg2 to mov or mp4 imovie can support. And i just found a good tool in this forum which shows a video tool can do this job without quality loss.
::MacBB::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06GHz Intel Dual iMac
What was the tool & where is it? I am in a similar situation having recently purchased a Sony CX-106E HD camera. I use iMovie 6.0.4 which gave me the ease of control and usage lost in later iMovie versions.

iMovie does not recognise the video footage so I need to convert it to a format iMovie will be able to use. Information on the right tool will be gratefully received. I currently have an Intel iMac, 3.06 GHz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Actually pmhb, you should have started a new thread - your problem - it would seem - is VERY different from the OP's problem.

The OP has Mpeg2 footage from an standard def camera - this requires a special quicktime plugin to be able to be used in quicktime (or any tool that might transcode via quicktime like mpegstreamclip).

Your problem appears more that your camera records in AVCHD - the iMovie version you are using doesn't support AVCHD, which means it needs to be transcoded first. You have a few options on that (assuming your version of iMovie 06 is the same as iMovie HD - in this respect I honestly don't know) -

1) If you have iMovie 08 or 09 as well, use that to import the footage which will convert it to AIC, which from what I understand, is supported by iMovie HD.

2) Get mpegstreamclip and use it to transcode into AIC or some other format supported by your version of iMovie

3) Buy Voltaic HD and be prepared to wait forever as it transcodes very slowly but does a good job.

4) Buy Final Cut Express 4 and use it as it's a lot cheaper then Final Cut Studio - as it supports AVCHD and has timeline editing - it is more complicated then your version of iMovie from what I understand, but with your existing understanding of timeline editing it shouldn't take too long to pick up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.