My New PB, and my thoughts.

J

JSchultz

Whew! Just got back from the Apple store in OakBrook IL.

Service was absolutely terrible. The store manager didn't know much of anything. He screwed up my credit app pretty bad too. On top of that, they were horribly understaffed, and I waited at least 35 minutes JUST to be talked to.

But, I'm home with it now, and...wow!! This feels 100x more solid than my old iBook. Feels overall sturdier and much better built. I don't think I'd want to drop it though.

There is a massive difference in speed too. I went from 700 mhz G3 to a 1.5 ghz G4. 20gb hdd to 60. Huge difference in graphics too, as I went from 16 mb VRAM to 64. Wow!

Glad I chose this over the iBook, cos I dont think it would be able to handle Logic or audio work like the PB can.

Cheers!
-J

OP
J

JSchultz

Standard 512 right now. I'll be adding another 512 stick soon to make it 1 gig, and that should be enough for my needs. I bought the powerbook specifically for music recording purposes, so this thing should scream.

And for those who may disagree, the difference between the 4200 and 5400 rpm hard drive IS noticable. Some people say it isn't, but this is much snappier than say, my old iBook, or even my brothers and mom's fiancee's Dell laptops.

This thing is going to be a blast!

Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that about the poor service, that is not good at all. But it seems it all worked out with the product. Enjoy it!

What did you do with your old iBook, are you going to hold onto it?

OP
J

JSchultz

Actually, my most recent iBook went to a good recipient on eBay. I had saved some cash, and sold my old G3 700 mhz ibook for $540 to use for funding.

Also, I came from Jaguar and am now using Tiger...Huge difference! Much snappier and usable. I can't believe what I was missing. Im still really glad I purchased a powerbook instead. It's good to know I have a great product, and I am future proofed for at least 3 years. Apple seems to do a good job in that sense. My old iBook was still chugging along, but was showing signs of its age with its older cpu, low max amount of ram, and small hdd. I fully expect my powerbook to last me quite some time!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Congrats on your new system. :)

Reaction score
JSchultz said:
My old iBook was still chugging along, but was showing signs of its age with its older cpu, low max amount of ram, and small hdd

How old was this iBook?

OP
J

JSchultz

That particular iBook was from 2003. 700 mhz, 640 mb ram, 20gb hdd, combo drive. It was still going, but I know that I wanted better performance from Tiger, and heavy duty processing for logic.

If it weren't for that, I'd be like one of those guys still using a Pismo after 7 years!

Reaction score
JSchultz said:
Whew! Just got back from the Apple store in OakBrook IL.

Service was absolutely terrible. The store manager didn't know much of anything. He screwed up my credit app pretty bad too. On top of that, they were horribly understaffed, and I waited at least 35 minutes JUST to be talked to.

But, I'm home with it now, and...wow!! This feels 100x more solid than my old iBook. Feels overall sturdier and much better built. I don't think I'd want to drop it though.

There is a massive difference in speed too. I went from 700 mhz G3 to a 1.5 ghz G4. 20gb hdd to 60. Huge difference in graphics too, as I went from 16 mb VRAM to 64. Wow!

Glad I chose this over the iBook, cos I dont think it would be able to handle Logic or audio work like the PB can.

Cheers!
-J

My experience with Apple Retail has been terrible as well. ...very much like yours...
:eek:neye: :eek:neye:

OP
M

menace3054

Redbrick said:
My experience with Apple Retail has been terrible as well. ...very much like yours...
:eek:neye: :eek:neye:

yea unfortunately i think thats the case with a lot of them. out here in az they are good to pressure you into buy them, but it stops there. The "geinus bar" is more like a moron bar. I dont think they have ever fixed anything ive brought to them. Once they just flat out told me they had no clue because they were new. But their hardware is another story, im sure that you will love your pb!

OP
M

menace3054

menace3054 said:
yea unfortunately i think thats the case with a lot of them. out here in az they are good to pressure you into buy them, but it stops there. The "geinus bar" is more like a moron bar. I dont think they have ever fixed anything ive brought to them. Once they just flat out told me they had no clue because they were new. But their hardware is another story, im sure that you will love your pb!

oh and keep your recipt handy, they might be announcing new ones on monday, and if so, id recommend returning it

OP
J

JSchultz

menace3054 said:
oh and keep your recipt handy, they might be announcing new ones on monday, and if so, id recommend returning it

Depending on what the new specs are, I might keep it and pocket the price match difference.

Returning it would mean a 10% restocking fee. Thats about 130 bucks. No Thank you!

To be honest, this powerbook is handling everything I do perfectly. I'm using midi/audio and intense audio units and it's chugging along even with 512 mb ram. I imagine I could only do more and more with say, a gb of ram total.

Unless they come out with something radical, I'm stickin with this littl guy!

Reaction score
menace3054 said:

My thoughts exactly....after I was done at the genius bar I told the guy they needed to serve something at the genius bar....cause they ain't serving geniuses. I'll take a tanquerary and Tonic. I don't think he found that funny.
:yinyang:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.