Messenger Doesn't work!

• Thread starter thesatelliteguy
  • Start date
T

thesatelliteguy

Hi there,
I just installed MSN Messenger from the office 2004 Student and teacher edition, on my new iBook G4. I'm currently running tiger and everytime I go to sign in, it always fails to sign in. I've tried numerous accounts and none of them work, but they all work on my pc, on the windows version of messenger. This used to happen when I had an eMac just a little while ago. Any Ideas?

Satelliteguy

OP
C

Cloudane

Same problem here, mine keeps saying there's an upgrade available and it won't let me sign on until I install it. But there is no upgrade!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Out of curiosity, have any of you installed Office:Mac SP1?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
three cheers for adium

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Cloudane said:
I installed Office:Mac, not sure if it's SP1 or not. Hmm..

Hmm...I think I remember Messenger being updated with SP1. I don't use it so I can't say for sure-- but a quick check of the MS website shows that if you aren't running messenger 4.0.1 then you won't be able to access the network. The download for that is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downlo.../msn_401.xml&secid=35&ssid=4&flgnosysreq=True

SP1 can be had there too, if you click around a bit you'll find it.

Also, looking around I saw a rumor that messenger 5.0 is maybe going to be released this month, so maybe that has something to do with the problems that your are experiencing.

OP
B

badmojo

trpnmonkey41 said:

Before I try aduimx, do you know if it links to a hotmail account? I still use hotmail for some things and the MS Messnger for mac notifies me when new emails arrive. It is a pain in the arse, however, because it logs off intermittently, and causes my iMac cooling fans to spin up every time I reinstate it.

OP
C

Cloudane

I just went through a load of 'fun' which led to MSN working on iChat. Happy bunny now :)

I still prefer AIM though. Shame it's horrible on Windows.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.