Why is ipad applecare only 2 years?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I was talking a look at the ipad here:
- iPad Apple Store (U.S.)
And I noticed the Applecare section for the ipad only said it runs for 2 years. Does anyone know why is not lasting 3 years like every other Apple product?

Well the iphone/ipods says 2 years too on the Apple care. When did they all change to 2 years and not 3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I was talking a look at the ipad here:
iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)
And I noticed the Applecare section for the ipad only said it runs for 2 years. Does anyone know why is not lasting 3 years like every other Apple product?

Well the iphone/ipods says 2 years too on the Apple care. When did they all change to 2 years and not 3?

Here's my best guess: Turn around time. The iPhone/iPod are also getting 2 years because people tend to replace those a lot faster than an iMac, MacBook,(Pro) or Mac Pro. So it's logical that since the iPad is not much more than an over sized iPod Touch, it will see faster, newer releases than a Mac will. If the Apple care were extended, that would mean whom ever is selling their iPad would be able to sell it with a year left on the Apple care, giving new buyers less incentive to purchase a new one as well.

NOTHING is done without $ as motivation in a decision making process.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I thought AppleCare was two years for everything, it's just that it's two years on top of the one year standard warranty, making it a total of three years from date of purchase.

C

chas_m

iPhones and iPod (and now iPads) have a version of Applecare that only extends their coverage for one additional year (rather than the two additional years given to laptops and desktop computers). This is exactly for the reasons DougB stated: high turnover. People often upgrade their phones and iPods for better/newer models, thus shortening the "working life."

I've also noticed that by shortening the extended warranty time, Apple is decidedly more generous with "problem" units when it comes to iPods/iPhones than with computers. You'll never hear of a person who had the logicboard on their iPod replaced three times before they were given a new one ...

So I *presume* that the combination of higher turnover and the decision to give the iPad a generous return policy (note the "battery dead? here's a whole new unit for $99" announcement) gave Apple the impetus to class it like the iPod and iPhone for warranty purposes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.